[UPDATE]Segment Length

Post by
From
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Segment_length#Too_long
* Segments that extend outside of an editor's [[Waze_Map_Editor#Editable_Area|editable area]] cannot be modified in any way. Keeping roads shorter than 10,000 meters reduces the chances of editors running into more roads with this restriction.
This statement is not entirely accurate. I can change the segment geometry nearly as much as I like. I can't change the segment properties.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Testing:

Test 1:
6.6km railroad segment , extending 4.6 km outside of my editable area, with one junction inside and one outside my editable area.

I AM NOT not able to:
* change its name or any other properties
* make changes at the junction which is outside my editable area

I AM able to:
* change its geometry, even adding, deleting, or moving geometry points well outside my editable area
* Make changes at the junction that is inside my editable area.

Test 2:
short street segment with one junction inside and one outside my editable area

AM able to: AM NOT able to:
[*] create a new junction node OUTSIDE my editable area
[*] make changes at the junction that is outside my editable area

POSTER_ID:16966196

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Hi, Voludu2,
I'm guessing that things have changed since this thread began, but I can edit all properties of segments that are partially outside my editable area, like name, elevation, lock, and even house numbers outside the area and endpoints for dead ends. If the road is connected to another outside editable area, it can't be disconnected, but that makes perfect sense, because disconnecting one road is a change to the other roads.

Is that your experience too? If so, it seems to me that the second bullet point in the "Too long" subsection should just be removed.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

I tested a few PS that were less than a mile long, and that's what my previous post was about. Today I tested this segment, which is 10 miles long, and about half of it is out of my area: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... =501925669 I could change name, elevation and lock, but since it's a railroad, there were no HNs. I also tested this PS, which is 3.4 miles long, but only a few hundred feet are within my editable: https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... s=85196127 I added a HN to it about 3 miles outside my area.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I made a 99-km-long freeway extending out into the Atlantic off Hilton Head Island, SC. I could rename it, lock it, raise it, SL it, redirect it, bend it and lengthen it up to 100 km :) I deleted it, but feel free to do the same test if y'all like.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

voludu2 wrote:Thank you, kartografer and RussPA for testing this change in behavior.

I propose this replacement text. If there are no objections. I will ask the global wiki moderators to approve it.

User:Voludu2/Segment_length#Too_long
That looks good, but I think the statement about Waze bots may also be outdated. If I try to make a segment longer than 100 km I anyways get a save error that says the segment is too long.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

If this is the same experience that others have, I would propose that the first sentence instead read "It is not possible to save a segment longer than 100 km in the Waze Map Editor."

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

What is the criterion for establishing sufficient consensus for wiki updates like this?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by CBenson
This page also states: "There are no system operation issues that require limiting the length of a segment."

Waze now states that 100 km is the maximum length of a segment. And states that this is necessary due to system operation issues. Longer segments gather too much information. Users have found that the waze maintenance bot adds junction nodes to very long segments.

EDIT: The source for the 100km limit is this staff post made 05-Nov-2015 in the GC forum.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Sounds reasonable to me. (I must admit that it irks me to add nodes to segments over 10 kms long and question whether long segments really require more resources in the client. But there are other more important issues to worry about, so I would rather get these changes made than debate what the practical length limit should be.)
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
My current understanding is that segments in excess of 100km can exist, but the are subject to detection by waze maintenance bot which may add a node to divide the segment in two. The information in the GC thread is not anything more than this. A question was raised as to why a junction node was added on a segment and the last editor showed as waze-maint-bot. The answer (corrected after some typos) was that the maintenance bot scans the database for long segments and the maximum length is 100 KM.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Are we going to make these changes to the wiki?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message