Partial restriction

Post by AndyLaode
thanks to deeploz i finally post on this forum

i would like to have a sentences change for this wiki about this section
If a turn is forbidden on all days, dates, and times, then use turn restriction or one-way road instead. If no traffic will ever be allowed to travel through an intersection, it should be disconnected. If no traffic will ever be allowed to travel on a segment, the segment should not be added to the map.
i would like to change it into
If a turn is forbidden on all days, dates, and times, then do not use turn restriction, use one-way road instead. If no traffic will ever be allowed to travel through an intersection, it should be disconnected. If no traffic will ever be allowed to travel on a segment, the segment should not be added to the map.
why we use turn restriction for something that already define? we do not need to set the TR if the road already one way. simplicity right?

need you guys advice about this

=========================================================================================

as updated in my recent post

here is my proposal

Code: Select all

Do not use a partial restriction if the turn is forbidden to all vehicles on all days and all times. 
* If this turn is illegal or physically impossible to do such as prevented by a barrier or median strip,  [[Creating_and_editing_road_segments#Set_allowed_turns_.28connections.29|disallow the turn (red arrow)]]. 
* If the road is one way, [[Creating_and_editing_road_segments#Set_Road_Type.2C_Direction.2C_and_Elevation|use a one-way segment]].
* If the road is permanently disconnected from the intersection, [[Real_time_closures#Controlling_traffic_flow|disconnect the segment from the junction]]. 
* If the segment is temporarily closed to traffic because of road work, use a [[Real_time_closures#Controlling_traffic_flow|closure]] instead.
* If traffic will never again allowed on that segment then that segment should not be existed at all.
* If the existence of the segment is not [[Best_continuation#The_list_of_conditions|improving the navigation instruction of adjacent segment(s)]], consider to change to a non-routable road type, or remove ('''only with the oversight of senior editors''') the segment.
AndyLaode

POSTER_ID:16938505

Send a message
Last edited by AndyLaode on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
andylaode (andylaode@outlook.com)
okay, mate, see you on the road and on the map too, cheers

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The reason why we might use a 1-way segment instead of a turn restriction, is that new editors may use Shift+z and see a restricted turn and enable it because they see a 2-way segment and do not investigate why it is set to restricted. Using a 1-way segment makes it so the WME doesn't display a turn arrow at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyLaode
Dear deeploz

After your kind explanation, then the meaning of the sentences is clearer for me. Because I am not native English speaker, then I understand that this may be because of the way I perceived the sentence is wrong.

So to test about that, I ask 6 of my friends to read this wiki and tell me what is her/his understanding about this. None of them perceived the same meaning as what you said in your explanation. All of them have same understanding with me.

For now, let me think of the way of saying it and I’ll get back again with the proposal on how to say it in the way that is easier to understand.
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
robindlc wrote:I'm under the impression that we are toooooo complicated.

IMO: "If a turn is forbidden on all days, dates, and times, and for all type of vehicles, then there is not a partial restriction and must be handled as a normal restriction"

hi robindlc

agree.. that was my first impression too when i want to change this wiki
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
may we have a consensus here and put voludu2 have said to replace the original sentences because frankly i can't even think a better sentences than his
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
voludu and deeploz

here is my proposal

Do not use a partial restriction if the turn is forbidden to all vehicles on all days and all times. 
* If this turn is illegal or physically impossible to do such as prevented by a barrier or median strip,  [[Creating_and_editing_road_segments#Set_allowed_turns_.28connections.29|disallow the turn (red arrow)]]. 
* If the road is one way, [[Creating_and_editing_road_segments#Set_Road_Type.2C_Direction.2C_and_Elevation|use a one-way segment]].
* If the road is permanently disconnected from the intersection, [[Real_time_closures#Controlling_traffic_flow|disconnect the segment from the junction]]. 
* If the segment is temporarily closed to traffic because of road work, use a [[Real_time_closures#Controlling_traffic_flow|closure]] instead.
* If traffic will never again be allowed on the segment, the segment should not be existed at all.
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
PesachZ wrote:

* If traffic will never again be allowed on the segment, {{u|and}} the segment is not necessary to [[Best_continuation#The_list_of_conditions|improve the navigation instruction of adjacent segments]], the segment should not be routable on the map at all. <br>Either change it to a non-routable road type, or delete the segment, '''but only with the oversight of senior editors'''.
This is my quick suggestion, for the last bullet. It can probably be improved.
thanks for the addition to make it clear. here is my revised proposal

how do you think?

* If traffic will never again allowed on that segment then that segment should not be existed at all.
* If the existence of the segment is not [[Best_continuation#The_list_of_conditions|improving the navigation instruction of adjacent segment(s)]], consider to change to a non-routable road type, or remove ('''only with the oversight of senior editors''') the segment.
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyLaode
are we going to the simpler one?
AndyLaode
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I think the push to use one-way roads is not clear. Think of a regular 4-way intersection of two-way roads. One (or more) of those roads has a "No Left Turn" sign posted - that is a turn restriction, but the proposal in the first post says to NOT use a turn restriction
If a turn is forbidden on all days, dates, and times, then do not use turn restriction, use one-way road instead.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
voludu2 wrote:
If the road is permanently connected to the intersection, disconnect the segment from the junction.
I think that needs to read
If the road is permanently blocked at the intersection, disconnect the segment from the junction.
Why would we want to disconnect something that is permanently connected?

Aside from that, I think you nailed it.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ