Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
I redid the changes and changed the table. But I think that soft turns are penalty based. Lets see if anyone has corrections and get the changes made.

As far as routing terminating on the nearest segment that the routing server can route to, we likely need a routing page to explain these types of issues.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I've adjusted the proposed page based on the comments here. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=128914
voludu2 wrote:The table says Waze will generally not route through a hard-restricted turn.
Is there any situation in which Waze will route through a hard-restricted turn?
I don't know. Does anyone know of any situation where Waze does route through a hard-restricted turn?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well it was a question raised by aBshield. From your response I guess the answer is yes the more information column is helpful. But that highlights the question of what to do with the statement "Waze will generally not route through this [hard restricted] turn." Will waze route through a hard restricted turn or not?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well, the problem is how to convey that waze will choose some other nearby segment to terminate a route rather than route through a hard turn restriction. We can't explain that just by saying there is very high penalty.

My understanding is the description of hard turns was written when it was simply a very high penalty and waze would route through a hard restriction if that was the only way to get to the closest segment to the destination. How do we edit the page to make it clear that no longer happens?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Please, go ahead. I've asked for confirmation regarding whether there are any circumstances where waze will route through a hard restriction. Do you need more confirmation than aBshield's examples in the OP that currently a hard turn restriction is not just a very high penalty? Does anyone have any examples where waze does route through a hard restriction?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I interpret the first "should" to mean that there might still be conditions where waze routes through a hard restriction, but those conditions if encountered and identified will be considered bugs as under no circumstance should waze route through a hard restriction. Thus, I propose that we proceed to edit the wiki to state that a hard turn restriction is a prohibition against routing as that is what editors should consider a hard restriction to be (any bugs notwithstanding). I've revised the proposed page to include the fourth column from the original table. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=130090
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
So at this point it would seem that no segment should have all turns to access it restricted. It would seem that if no vehicles can access a segment then it shouldn't be mapped as a driveable segment. If we say this on the page we could then point out that a result of erroneously restricting all turns onto a segment is that it will not be used as the destination for any routes. Does this sound correct to everybody?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Seems to be the next closest segment. It doesn't fail and I've seen it route to other segments, so its doesn't just route to the junction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Here is a further revision of the proposed page with a paragraph on routing. https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=131148
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
But the point of this change is that the hard turn restriction isn't really a penalty anymore.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message