Road names/USA - County Roads

Post by karrows
I was reading this section here:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_names/U ... _and_roads

I noticed several issues, and in general reading it just seems not well put together.

The bit about letters the same as cardinal directions, is the CR-'e' really the standard? I have a County Road E near me that was labeled that way, and I think it looks pretty ugly as lower case. I forgot where I read it, but I believe just straight CR-E with nothing special works correctly now. Areas where it is green signed just as "County E" we just used a period after the E which seems to work and look better. Is there a real standard somewhere for this?

The statement "There is no other TTS abbreviation for county owned roads in any capacity." while referring to the CR-xxx standard is confusing with the next paragraph which points out that some areas still use CH-xxx which could be a county owned road. Then I realize maybe they were talking about TTS saying the specific words "County Road," but then why the mumbo jumbo about ownership since a county highway could in some capacity still be considered a "county owned road." Even then, why do we care who owns it? It's the signage, addresses, and local standards that matter for naming.

For addresses, I have some houses that are "xxxx County Road J W". Should it be documented on how to handle this for address search purposes? I doubt it will pop up with a Waze result if the road is only named as "CR-J"

Specifics for the CR/CH/TR/TH abbreviations should probably be downplayed, and the link to this page should probably be emphasized: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Highway_naming/USA

Since I don't know half of the official answers to the issues I pointed out, I'm not too comfortable rewriting it myself.

Thinking about this a little more, it looks to me that the county-township roads section could be merged with the state highways section and be greatly condensed. Interstates, US-hwy, and ramps are mostly standardized country wide, so those having their own section and clear specifics is important. State/county/township roads don't have many country wide standards, they have many state specific issues to cover for each state. So I think a merged section would first point people to https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Highway_naming/USA for the specific naming practices as it covers all of the state/county/township naming standards, then directing people to go to their state pages for more specific localized details.
karrows
State Manager
State Manager

POSTER_ID:5892798

Send a message

Post by karrows
qwaletee wrote:I would hit the TTS discussion first for the specific issue you are encountering: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178&p=1269432#p1269415

Then, if it turns out the Wiki guidance is out of sync with current best practices, you can circle back here to propose specific changes.
Thanks for that link. Looks like they have their own wiki page here https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Abbreviation ... ronyms/USA

So yes, the guidance for county roads is currently wrong. I'm thinking that mentioning the cardinal letters issue should not even be specified in this section, and it should just link to the abbreviations page.
karrows
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by qwaletee
I would hit the TTS discussion first for the specific issue you are encountering: viewtopic.php?f=129&t=15178&p=1269432#p1269415

Then, if it turns out the Wiki guidance is out of sync with current best practices, you can circle back here to propose specific changes.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues

Post by qwaletee
Forget the wiki page there for now. Ask your question on the TTS topic. PesachZ will either agree and say he's submittinga fix, agree but explain why a fix is not possible, clarify, or ask for clarification. It will get answered, PZ is very responsive.
qwaletee
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues