Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Post by
This conversation was originally started here.

Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

I've updated the construction box and will update the link to point to here.

What I've done so far:
Under this section Segment Naming the table Wayfinder naming examples needs to have its columns aligned. The continuation sign image is overtaking the continuation road name. I went ahead and made the changes by doing the following mods:
- changed colspan=3 to 2
- added an extra line to recenter the rest of the images

So it goes from this
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OezW ... 252001.jpg

to this
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--zBU ... 252002.jpg

Finally, seeing as it's the only section with a table with a name on it, I made the table a sub of Segment Naming ( ===== Wayfinder Naming Example =====) unless that wasn't needed. Or should it be butted up against the text like the table in the section Configuration and have the images shrank so the table is closer to the text?

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message
Last edited by Fredo-p on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
Greetings, I was wondering about having an update to the wayfinder section on this page.
Currently there does not appear to be guidance/confusion on how to handle a junction where a highway may be ending and both right and left are exits or no longer the previous road (Example, in this example a keep may be more accurate to have stay to the right than an exit to the right but current wiki doesnt really provide guidance or examples for this scenario) I would like to propose an example where S1 is the freeway and then S2 & S3 are blank freeway segments with then a ramp after both S2 & S3 that would have the ramp names, resulting in inherited names for the driver and a stay to the left/right prompt as you approach. This scenario is for when a highway ends and there is clear split with no numbered/obvious exit.

Thoughts?
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
johnsninja58 wrote:I would like to propose an example where S1 is the freeway and then S2 & S3 are blank freeway segments with then a ramp after both S2 & S3 that would have the ramp names, resulting in inherited names for the driver and a stay to the left/right prompt as you approach. This scenario is for when a highway ends and there is clear split with no numbered/obvious exit.

Thoughts?
Seems like with turn instruction overrides we should just set the right out segment to "keep right" in those cases. With your example, since the left out is signed as the exit, and you are exiting one freeway to another rather than continuing straight, it may even be better to have the left say "exit left."
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by CBenson
Based on the discussion here I propose to change this page as in this draft: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:CBenson ... tyle_Guide
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Sorry about the dual threads, this discussion continues over here where the diamond/BDP issue was raised. I also posted here because the page itself refers to this page to discuss changes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
edsonajj wrote:Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.
So are you looking for something more like this:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=139054
edsonajj wrote:[*]Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.[/list]
I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion. Is there more generic terminology than Express and Local? Personally, I don't like the term Express for the US because the US Federal Highway Administration wants "Express" to be used for price managed toll lanes. Thus these configurations are signed "Thru" and "Local" in my area. But I had thought "Express" was agreed upon as the more generally used term.
voludu2 wrote: The following phrase should simply be removed:
– as long as the city name on the freeway is the same (or set to "no city") before, throughout, and after the collector-distributor.
That has already been removed from the draft as discussed here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
PesachZ wrote: However we are losing valuable US guidance in the process. If we go down this road we should first fork the USA content into a US Variant.
Do you mean specifically for the local-express lanes? Or generally for wayfinders?

If for local-express do you think it should be added the US road name page under exit names or in a new section?

If for wayfinders, the proposal includes a US variant.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well that's the question, is there US guidance that needs to be disentagled in other parts of the page than the wayfinder section?

I'm having a bit of trouble with how to disentangle the express/local guidance, as personally I don't think the specifics are very good US guidance. So personally I'm happy just making it more generic.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Hmm, okay I guess you're right - adding the cardinals is local guidance.

So should the names for thru/local splits be addressed as a subset of wayfinders, as a subset of exit naming, as their own section in the US road naming page, or do we need an entire US Junction Style guide?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I had just cut the info edsonajj pointed to and dropped it into a US wayfinders page. But its primarily guidance for naming wayfinders. So do we think the information would be better presented in a US Junction Style Guide or in the road names/USA page?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message