Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

[Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Post by Fredo-p
This conversation was originally started here.

Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

I've updated the construction box and will update the link to point to here.

What I've done so far:
Under this section Segment Naming the table Wayfinder naming examples needs to have its columns aligned. The continuation sign image is overtaking the continuation road name. I went ahead and made the changes by doing the following mods:
- changed colspan=3 to 2
- added an extra line to recenter the rest of the images

So it goes from this
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OezW ... 252001.jpg

to this
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--zBU ... 252002.jpg

Finally, seeing as it's the only section with a table with a name on it, I made the table a sub of Segment Naming ( ===== Wayfinder Naming Example =====) unless that wasn't needed. Or should it be butted up against the text like the table in the section Configuration and have the images shrank so the table is closer to the text?
Fredo-p

POSTER_ID:16781248

Send a message
Last edited by Fredo-p on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Post by DaJoNel
The Problem
Since adopting the standard angle of 10-15 degrees for exit ramps and onramps, client app (not WME) users have reported an inability to mark closures, particularly for exit ramps where the client app UI renders the arrows overlapped and indistinguishable. Unfortunately, I do not have a screenshot of this at the time of posting this, but chances are you all have run into this flaw as well. Assuming no fix on the client app to prevent arrows from overlapping (there have been 11 iOS releases of the current client UI with no fix), it is up to editors to provide a good user experience with Waze.

The Solution
Thanks to input from other community members, the sweet spot for easily distinguishable (and quickly tap-able) arrows seems to be about a 25 degree angle. Now, to the credit of the current style guide, the angle of 10-15 degrees from the freeway segment (for example) to the gore point of the ramp provides a good visual appearance and a good behavior in timing of turn instructions. So, ideally we would preserve this same guidance moving forward while also accounting for the client app arrows overlapping.

In order to accomplish this, I suggest a very simple two-step process to all exit angles.
  • First, create the junction angle as normal in the 10-15 degree preferred range.
  • Then, with a geonode, pull the angle out to 25 degrees so that users can select arrows for reporting closures.
Attached are some screenshots of an interchange with the exact same shape and exit prompt timing but with the ability for users to mark a closure when necessary.

Standard 10 degree angle recommended by guidance:
10.jpg
Standard 10 degree angle via guidance
(156.49 KiB) Downloaded 1906 times
Same 10 degree shape but with a 25 degree geonode:
25.jpg
25 degree angle preserving the preferred shape and timing
(161.17 KiB) Downloaded 1907 times
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Last edited by DaJoNel on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by edsonajj
Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

I'll make two lists of proposed changes, small and big ones.

Small changes
  • When to use rampsshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US.
  • Exit namingshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US & UK.
Big changes
  • Criteria (US)Should either be moved to a US page or have changed so the criteria are accepted universally.
  • Segment naming everything from the subsection on signed continuation seem entirely made from US rules. Move to a US page or scrape section.
  • Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.
I know it's easier to say what is wrong than to generate the content, still I think its important to address these problems in order for the wiki to be truly international.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.
So are you looking for something more like this:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=139054
I know it seems very radical, but yes.
CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:[*]Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.[/list]
I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion. Is there more generic terminology than Express and Local? Personally, I don't like the term Express for the US because the US Federal Highway Administration wants "Express" to be used for price managed toll lanes. Thus these configurations are signed "Thru" and "Local" in my area. But I had thought "Express" was agreed upon as the more generally used term.
My issue is mainly with the two points at the end which say
  • use the same type (most likely Freeway ) for the Local lanes as is used for the Express lanes, and
  • name the road as it is signed: typically "[Name] Local [Direction]": for example, "I-96 Local W" (and "I-96 Express W" for the Express lanes).

Here's a local example of how we mark express roads
Carriles Exprés.png
(650.71 KiB) Downloaded 1934 times
As you can see, we do not use the same road type nor do me add "Local" and [Direction] elements on the name.
That means the rules are not universal so in my opinion those rules shouldn't be on a global article.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
The first two articles look good.

Local champs should be the ones to give their opinion on U.S. specific articles. ;)
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
But you could use the main USA forum couldn't you? Or if a dedicated forum is deemed necessary it can be created.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by Fredo-p
I can still see/read the BGS after the change. As for the continuing road name column, could the text just merge with that empty cell above it? It just seemed off with the old method by having the image spill over to the next cell.
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by Fredo-p
sketch wrote:Besides, the original configuration fits better within the size of the Wiki.
What does that mean?
Fredo-p
Send a message

Post by herrchin
ttninja55 wrote:Not opposed to the idea but what interchange arrows remain unresolved at zoom 10?
This is specifically for Wazers trying to click the arrows to report closures in the app. Fwy accidents forcing people to exit, or ramps closed, etc. We of course have lots of editor options to do our work.
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message