[Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Postby edsonajj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:12 am

Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

I'll make two lists of proposed changes, small and big ones.

Small changes
  • When to use rampsshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US.
  • Exit namingshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US & UK.

Big changes
  • Criteria (US)Should either be moved to a US page or have changed so the criteria are accepted universally.
  • Segment naming everything from the subsection on signed continuation seem entirely made from US rules. Move to a US page or scrape section.
  • Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.

I know it's easier to say what is wrong than to generate the content, still I think its important to address these problems in order for the wiki to be truly international.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edsonajj » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:39 am

CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

So are you looking for something more like this:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=139054

I know it seems very radical, but yes.

CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:[*]Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.[/list]

I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion. Is there more generic terminology than Express and Local? Personally, I don't like the term Express for the US because the US Federal Highway Administration wants "Express" to be used for price managed toll lanes. Thus these configurations are signed "Thru" and "Local" in my area. But I had thought "Express" was agreed upon as the more generally used term.

My issue is mainly with the two points at the end which say
  • use the same type (most likely Freeway ) for the Local lanes as is used for the Express lanes, and
  • name the road as it is signed: typically "[Name] Local [Direction]": for example, "I-96 Local W" (and "I-96 Express W" for the Express lanes).

Here's a local example of how we mark express roads
Carriles Exprés.png
(650.71 KiB) Downloaded 1847 times

As you can see, we do not use the same road type nor do me add "Local" and [Direction] elements on the name.
That means the rules are not universal so in my opinion those rules shouldn't be on a global article.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edsonajj » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:18 am

The first two articles look good.

Local champs should be the ones to give their opinion on U.S. specific articles. ;)
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edsonajj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:55 pm

But you could use the main USA forum couldn't you? Or if a dedicated forum is deemed necessary it can be created.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

[Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Postby Fredo-p » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:59 am

This conversation was originally started here.

Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

I've updated the construction box and will update the link to point to here.

What I've done so far:
Under this section Segment Naming the table Wayfinder naming examples needs to have its columns aligned. The continuation sign image is overtaking the continuation road name. I went ahead and made the changes by doing the following mods:
- changed colspan=3 to 2
- added an extra line to recenter the rest of the images

So it goes from this
[ img ]

to this
[ img ]

Finally, seeing as it's the only section with a table with a name on it, I made the table a sub of Segment Naming ( ===== Wayfinder Naming Example =====) unless that wasn't needed. Or should it be butted up against the text like the table in the section Configuration and have the images shrank so the table is closer to the text?
Last edited by Fredo-p on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[ img ][ img ]
Arizona Wiki | @Waze_Arizona Twitter
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S8+

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:55 am

I can still see/read the BGS after the change. As for the continuing road name column, could the text just merge with that empty cell above it? It just seemed off with the old method by having the image spill over to the next cell.
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

sketch wrote:Besides, the original configuration fits better within the size of the Wiki.

What does that mean?
[ img ][ img ]

Fredo-p
State Manager
State Manager

Postby herrchin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 pm

ttninja55 wrote:Not opposed to the idea but what interchange arrows remain unresolved at zoom 10?

This is specifically for Wazers trying to click the arrows to report closures in the app. Fwy accidents forcing people to exit, or ramps closed, etc. We of course have lots of editor options to do our work.
USA Country Manager / UT SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby johnsninja58 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:59 am

Greetings, I was wondering about having an update to the wayfinder section on this page.
Currently there does not appear to be guidance/confusion on how to handle a junction where a highway may be ending and both right and left are exits or no longer the previous road (Example, in this example a keep may be more accurate to have stay to the right than an exit to the right but current wiki doesnt really provide guidance or examples for this scenario) I would like to propose an example where S1 is the freeway and then S2 & S3 are blank freeway segments with then a ramp after both S2 & S3 that would have the ramp names, resulting in inherited names for the driver and a stay to the left/right prompt as you approach. This scenario is for when a highway ends and there is clear split with no numbered/obvious exit.

Thoughts?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby Kartografer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:I would like to propose an example where S1 is the freeway and then S2 & S3 are blank freeway segments with then a ramp after both S2 & S3 that would have the ramp names, resulting in inherited names for the driver and a stay to the left/right prompt as you approach. This scenario is for when a highway ends and there is clear split with no numbered/obvious exit.

Thoughts?

Seems like with turn instruction overrides we should just set the right out segment to "keep right" in those cases. With your example, since the left out is signed as the exit, and you are exiting one freeway to another rather than continuing straight, it may even be better to have the left say "exit left."
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion