[Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Moderator: Unholy

Re: [Update Page] Junction Style Guide/Interchanges

Postby Fredo-p » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:38 pm

sketch wrote:Besides, the original configuration fits better within the size of the Wiki.

What does that mean?
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby sketch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:04 pm

It looks better.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Based on the discussion here I propose to change this page as in this draft: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:CBenson ... tyle_Guide
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby subs5 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:46 pm

I like the pictures showing that the straight through from off ramp to on ramp should be green if legally allowed to do (some are posted as illegal). BDP should prevent it, but if the main road is closed for bridge maintenance then the off ramp to on ramp might be the way to go for some period of time.
For consistency between the diamond and the Single-point urban interchange (SPUI), I think the straight through (from off ramp to on ramp) should be allowed there too if legal.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PesachZ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:38 am

subs5 wrote:I like the pictures showing that the straight through from off ramp to on ramp should be green if legally allowed to do (some are posted as illegal). BDP should prevent it, but if the main road is closed for bridge maintenance then the off ramp to on ramp might be the way to go for some period of time.
For consistency between the diamond and the Single-point urban interchange (SPUI), I think the straight through (from off ramp to on ramp) should be allowed there too if legal.

I agree absolutely, I would have posted this myself if someone else hadn't first. I think since we agree in theory, the same theory applies to the SPUI. And with no objections in 9 days, I suggest CBenson update the page. This has been unwritten common practice for many months already, it's about time to bring the text up to speed.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Sorry about the dual threads, this discussion continues over here where the diamond/BDP issue was raised. I also posted here because the page itself refers to this page to discuss changes.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edsonajj » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:12 am

Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

I'll make two lists of proposed changes, small and big ones.

Small changes
  • When to use rampsshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US.
  • Exit namingshould redirect to page where all local guidance can be found, not only US & UK.

Big changes
  • Criteria (US)Should either be moved to a US page or have changed so the criteria are accepted universally.
  • Segment naming everything from the subsection on signed continuation seem entirely made from US rules. Move to a US page or scrape section.
  • Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.

I know it's easier to say what is wrong than to generate the content, still I think its important to address these problems in order for the wiki to be truly international.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby voludu2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:33 am

These are good points, and should be done. Only we need more writers :)

Is this a good place to note that reference to City name should be removed from this section of the sub-page on interchanges:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... cloverleaf

Because waze team has made clear what we also observe -- that presence, absence, continuity, or change of city name has no bearing any longer on BDP. The following phrase should simply be removed:
– as long as the city name on the freeway is the same (or set to "no city") before, throughout, and after the collector-distributor.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:49 pm

edsonajj wrote:Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

So are you looking for something more like this:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=139054

edsonajj wrote:[*]Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.[/list]

I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion. Is there more generic terminology than Express and Local? Personally, I don't like the term Express for the US because the US Federal Highway Administration wants "Express" to be used for price managed toll lanes. Thus these configurations are signed "Thru" and "Local" in my area. But I had thought "Express" was agreed upon as the more generally used term.

voludu2 wrote: The following phrase should simply be removed:
– as long as the city name on the freeway is the same (or set to "no city") before, throughout, and after the collector-distributor.

That has already been removed from the draft as discussed here.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby edsonajj » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:39 am

CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:Please excuse me for jumping in only to point out the negative, but the current text seems too US centric to me.

So are you looking for something more like this:
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=139054

I know it seems very radical, but yes.

CBenson wrote:
edsonajj wrote:[*]Local express lanes The naming convention seems based only on the US, change text to specify following local rules.[/list]

I'm not sure what to do with this suggestion. Is there more generic terminology than Express and Local? Personally, I don't like the term Express for the US because the US Federal Highway Administration wants "Express" to be used for price managed toll lanes. Thus these configurations are signed "Thru" and "Local" in my area. But I had thought "Express" was agreed upon as the more generally used term.

My issue is mainly with the two points at the end which say
  • use the same type (most likely Freeway ) for the Local lanes as is used for the Express lanes, and
  • name the road as it is signed: typically "[Name] Local [Direction]": for example, "I-96 Local W" (and "I-96 Express W" for the Express lanes).

Here's a local example of how we mark express roads
Carriles Exprés.png
(650.71 KiB) Downloaded 1732 times

As you can see, we do not use the same road type nor do me add "Local" and [Direction] elements on the name.
That means the rules are not universal so in my opinion those rules shouldn't be on a global article.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion