No Left Turn and Railroads Improvements to Waze

Post by jmafisher
I wanted to propose two new features in Waze and this seems like it may be the right venue.
1) It would be fantastic to have the option of reducing left turns. I live in a large metropolitan area and often Waze will direct me away from expressways but it always seems to want me to make a left turn across a busy street. As we all know, it is more efficient to make three right turns than one left turn so why not have that as an option. It may be an easy fix if you assign a travel time of +2 minutes or +5 minutes to each left turn.
2) I also live in an area where trains often block traffic. Is there some way to take into account trains with Waze? It could be an option for a traffic hazard that would then allow you to put in the direction of the train so it can take this into account for adjoining streets.
Thanks
jmafisher

POSTER_ID:17134002

Send a message

Post by russblau
By the way, better venues for feature suggestions are here for the Map Editor, and here for the App.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by tonytx05
1) Waze tracks the time it takes to cross a segment and travel from one segment to another. So if it takes a long time to turn left at a particular intersection, Waze learns that and takes it into account when generating a route. There's no need to assign artificial penalties to left turns. If you're interested you can read more here.

2) In much the same way as above, railroads are now mapped so they intersect the roads that cross them. This allows Waze to learn the time it takes to cross these intersections. This obviously can't help much with the random train passing by, but if a train blocks a particular intersection at the same time every day the routing server will eventually learn that and hopefully route around it if there is a better way.
tonytx05
Send a message
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

https://s.waze.tools/c3s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid