[Update] Places. Faces and vehicle number plates

Moderator: Unholy

[Update] Places. Faces and vehicle number plates

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:35 am

Some wiki masters began a discussion of a needed change to a global wiki page, and some other members of the editing community would like to contribute to the discussion as well. I think the discussion of the update wording can happen here, with the help of everyone in the community who understands the issue and can suggest easy-to-understand new wording for this page. And, possibly, for any other related pages where a change may also be necessary.

To paraphrase the discussions so far: Since Waze team is now OK with pictures of places that include faces and vehicle number plates, the global wiki page should be changed to reflect this.

I suggest the following lines be removed (because these things are no longer forbidden)

remove what we earlier wrote:* People's faces - any photo with a fully identifiable face should be removed, or not approved
* Car license plates - any photo with a fully identifiable license plate should be removed, or not approved
* Anything which allows a viewer to tie a person to a specific location

At the same time, I propose a change in wording (new text in bold face ).
* Be clear (not blurry, through rain-covered/dirty windows, not from moving vehicles/trains, etc)
* Feature the destination itself, not people or customers' vehicles

Once the community has found wording that works well globally and it is ready for the global wiki masters to take to the global wiki moderators, one of the wiki masters will post the request on the other forum, because the moderators are subscribed to that forum, notice when we post there, and are able to quickly check whether the proper procedure has been followed and give a thumbs-up or -down to the proposed change.

wiki masters began a discussion here: https://www.waze.com/forum/posting.php? ... #pr1458842
Last edited by voludu2 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Re: [Update] Places. Faces and vehicle number plates

Postby SuperDave1426 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:17 am

Thanks for posting this here, voludu2. I've been following the discussion in the forum topic you mentioned, and it can be frustrating at times that I can't make a reply there since I'm not a Wiki Master (and that forum, while readable by everyone, is limited to postings only by them).

One thing I'd like to point out (to get any possible discussion rolling here...) is this:

Google is Google, and they've set the policies for themselves in Street View for whatever reasons that they did (regarding them blurring faces & license plates in SV). I suspect it has to do with keeping things simple for themselves with their SV cars. Different countries have different laws regarding this issue, and they may well have just gone the route that's easiest for them to maintain, since they're the sole contributor of images to SV; I.E., going for the policy that doesn't get them into trouble in countries that have laws regarding such things. (Just a guess, but it seems reasonable.)

In this case, individuals are taking pictures of a place that they want to add the picture to, not the company. That gives Waze a certain amount of "safe harbor" status/protection, I believe. Also, in the USA, there have already been a number of court cases where it was determined that a person does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place, so a picture showing them at such a public place doesn't trigger a "privacy" issue. There was a discussion about the subject of pictures in Places quite a while ago, where the consensus seemed to be that in the USA, pictures showing those things were not reason alone enough to reject the photo of a Place. Global Champ AlanOfTheBerg was the one who told me that accepting such pictures was acceptable in the USA for such locations. I figure he's likely to know. ;)

The above is primarily for those who haven't been following that discussion, and might be thinking upon reading what voludu2 wrote about things like "isn't that a privacy problem," etc.

As to the wording that V is suggesting, I - at least at this moment - can't think of a better way to word what she suggested in terms of what should be removed and what should be replaced. I'm sure, though, that others here might be able to improve on it. :)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: [Update] Places. Faces and vehicle number plates

Postby voludu2 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:28 pm

If there are no objections to the wording proposed on July 21, then any wiki master can request the moderators check we have followed the process correctly. If the moderators do not vote against the change, then, at that time, anybody will be free to make the approved change.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion