Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by jasonh300
The "Best Map Editing Practice" page can be copied verbatim into the new Wiki since it's updated frequently.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
About a month ago, I segregated all the Cartouche stuff on the BMEP page to the bottom of the page and put in info stating that it's only there for some legacy functions.

However, as long as the Recent Routes on the Dashboard page leads every new user to Cartouche, new editors will be using Cartouche, screwing things up and creating new problems.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The functionality to view the routes in WME already exists. You can click on the links from within WME...but for new users, it's a chicken and egg conundrum. All they have to do is get those links onto the Dashboard page.

Then there's the whole Alternate Name field, which some editors spend a lot of time filling in. That data may or may not be useful when they finally make an alternate name field or shield field in WME. I don't see any way that they're going to be able to differentiate between shield numbers and alternate names and we're going to have a lot of new work to do once that change occurs.

Personally, I don't do any alternate naming. I'm working on getting the highways in Louisiana the way I think they should be (consistent), and whenever the new alternate naming/shields come into play, I'll have a pretty easy time of doing a Select All and filling in the data. It won't happen overnight, but at least I won't have to spend a lot of time going segment by segment all over again, as I'm doing now.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
imper1um,

# I mainly use FF and can assist on that front with feedback. The operation is the same between them. The only difference is the few "problems" that FF does not behave correctly.

# My R/L job is writing about technical things for the average human, so I can work with you on the intro descriptions. We can sync up on how you want me to follow you. I can just watch your edits if you like, or you can maybe add a special template to pages that need an intro like {{INTRO_NEEDED}} and I can search for them and edit as you create them.

# As I mentioned in my PM to you yesterday, I will keep adding updates and simplifications to sections that you can then cut and paste into your template. I just realized that we need to keep synchronized on our changes though since you will at some point do a wholesale paste from your temp page and if I was updating the current pages, the changes will be "lost" when we switch over. Maybe I will focus my efforts on the section intros inside your temp pages so we don't risk loosing too much work between us.

One way or another I think we will be successful here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message