Updating Parking Lot road type instructions

Post by kentsmith9
I have received some feedback on PM that we should update and be more clear about when to recommend adding parking lot roads to the map. I believe gettingthere made some recent updates based on viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20756, but it took a ton of searching to finally find https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Roa ... g_Lot_Road. I can certainly make that reference pop up much easier. That entry already has some of the key points I believe we are currently recommending:
  • Don't go wild adding every lane of the parking lot. Focus on the primary lanes that lead to/from the surrounding streets.
  • Use the parking lot road type for all segments of the parking lot.
  • In large parking lots that are near streets, map out the outer-most driving lane of the lot to prevent the routing server from snapping drivers to the adjacent road, but think traffic is slowed to 5 MPH /10KPH.
What I am not sure of is if we all agree on these additional recommendations. If we do have them in the Wiki, we should add why each is recommended to help people understand the logic:
  • 1. Do not map every parking lot you see on the map unless you get a user request or the system is reporting an error. [Because...]

2. When responding to automated map errors, rather than mapping a parking lot with individual roads, consider mapping a "parking lot" landmark over the area to stop the routing server from reporting the problem.
I am not sure if there are other recommendations, so if anyone has any ideas on these additional recommendations or has more, please comment so we can best determine what more to cover in the Wiki.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Placing this here because I don't see any other discussion on Road Type, and it really boils down to Parking Lots anyway in this case.

I made the following addendum to the USA Road TypesPage:

Note: There is always an exception to every rule. If in doubt, consult with a Waze Champ or Country Manager (Indicated by Level 6 next to their name in the editor) before making exceptions.

The bolded part is what I added. After pasting the URL to this page into a PM for the 100th time, I noticed that the "exception to every rule" leaves everything on the page open to interpretation, so I felt it was best to put the disclaimer in. This will reduce the likelihood of new users openly interpreting the rules and getting themselves into trouble, and increase the likelihood that they'll contact a senior editor and get the proper direction they need.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I'm still waiting on the less-visible parking lot roads that they promised in March, and then said was a good idea when I sent them a mock-up in April or May. Once that happens, this becomes much less of a problem.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
tohmlin wrote:Hi all !
Yes I'm a waze newbie and my first map edition try is actually on a parking lot, so I guess, discovering the subject posts, that they are many reasons for you to laugh at me !!!

The parking lot area at my work place is quite big, and as I used the possibility to record where I parked, I was quite pissed of being mapped on the nearest road instead of seing my position getting closer to my recorded position in the parking lot (when using waze on my android mobile and walking to my car).
Before I tried (yesterday) for the first time to suggest updates through waze.com/editor, I previously tried to use "building a new road" in the "map problem reports" on my mobile app. These new roads were visible some days on the mobile map, but then disappeared. Now that my changes seem to have been accepted on waze.com/editor, these new parking lot roads are still invisible on my mobile map :S
I'm sure there's something I missed in the intention, so please correct me !

Thomas
Android Waze 3.7.2.0
Assuming that you're on the world server (not U.S. or Canada), there's currently a delay of about 10 days to see your updates. You can follow this at http://status.waze.com
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by JimB50
Very funny. That is a @#&$!#$& way to get out of Level 1 editor jail.
Jim
JimB50
Send a message
Jim
Level 3 editor
LG VS 930 Android 4.1.2
Cleaning up in my area

Post by kentsmith9
On that page are you commenting on:
Wiki wrote:...the Parking Lot landmark should NEVER be drawn over or attached/snapped to roads bearing through traffic.
Are you saying there is another Wiki page that says the opposite, or that you consider the PLot roads inside the landmark are violating that guideline above?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
szahni0 wrote:The question still remains, when dealing with small, non-destination point parking lots, what is preferred, segments or landmarks. Considering the majority of Waze Automated Errors are regarding missing road segments are related to people cutting through smalll corner lots, should these small lots be blocked out as landmarks or road segments?
Maybe we can place a statement in the PLot Landmark section to review the PLot Road page that I think clarifies what to do for roads. Technically the decision to add a Landmark or add road segments in a parking lot is separate.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Links between PLot landmark and roads made. I did not add specific information on whether to use either one, since I think each section identifies when to add each one already. Now it is more clear there is another section to review for the other category.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by mapcat
CBenson wrote:
bgodette wrote:In either case it's usually the larger lots that need actual segments, the corner gas station or mid-block drive-thru usually just needs a landmark.
So what's the advantage to using the landmark rather than the segments?
Or, what's the advantage to using the landmark rather than doing nothing at all?
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1

Post by mapcat
I really don't want to name parking lot roads. Especially since they still show on the map, and probably will until a Champ travels to Noam's house and commits seppuku.

No, I'm not volunteering.
mapcat
Send a message
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1