New Page - Junction Style Guide

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: New Page - Junction Style Guide

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 am

daknife wrote:Here is the first one, (I highlighted one segment of each of the three thru-turns in that system).

I marked the State/Minuteman/12300S locations as landmarks long ago when they were in the planning stages after watching the videos, and then someone else came along to draw them once complete: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11693&hilit=minuteman

It's fun to revisit the good ol' times.... :)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:56 pm

But are the wayfinder segments we currently add, which the unnamed segments are a part of (forcing the next named segment to appear in TTS), a way of kludging the map in a manner which Ehud has asked us not to do so that Waze can develop other features? He specifically has mentioned giving more granular control over TTS/instructions at junctions.

Now, I also understand that it is likely that a feature like that in the editor is not going to happen "soon," even using the Waze HQ definition of "soon." (Soon=some time, undefined, and likely not for a year or more.) So, do we implement more workaround-type features now because we know that drivers need better instructions, in spite (not mean spite) of the directions from Waze?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 pm

dmcconachie wrote:Why the kinks where the ramps meet the freeway? I can understand kinks where you're trying to ensure a "Turn..." rather than "Keep..." instruction but for freeways you'll always get the "Exit..." when leaving and nothing when joining anyway?!

via Tapatalk

+1

There is no reason for the ramps to be at 45 degree angles... A nice easy 20-30 degree angle is enough for Waze, and it just looks cleaner on the map... And of course, if someone tries to make a 45 degree angle and ends up making a 46 degree angle (exaggeration, but you get the idea) , you get a turn instruction...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 pm

As for Pathfinders - Everyone need to remember that the Pathfinder proposal (part of the ramp naming proposal) failed when it was voted on. I have no problem using pathfinders at splits without an exit number, but if there is an exit number in play, there shouldn't be a pathfinder there at all. You choice is take the exit or don't take the exit (i.e. Waze says to take Exit 7, and where you are on the road your choice is "Exit 10" or "Not Exit 10" everyone should know where to go).

As well as the fact that Waze is (currently) a commuter app - these are people who know the roads they are driving on, just looking for the fastest way to get there.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:47 am

Well thought out.

Would suggest only a statement early in the document that advises not to edit junctions unless zoomed in fairly close. What may appear to be a superfluous node in street curvature from a distance can often be an attempt by an AM to get TTS to generate the correct "turn," "stay," "exit" instruction, but you won't know that unless you're zoomed in close enough.
Country Manager & Southeast (Alabama, Florida, Georgia) Regional Coordinator
@WazeNWFL -- I Waze, therefore I am --
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby banished » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:43 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Additional examples added for more complex situations with collectors/distributors and mixing traffic flows. Are these examples sufficient? Do I need to rig up a worst case scenario like I mention at the end?

You're doing great work here. Rather than trying to capture every possible permutation to fit every potential situation, you may be better off just trying to elucidate the broader vision with a couple of examples using more typical situations than atypical ones.

Best to You.
banished
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby berestovskyy » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm

xteejx wrote:Is there a bit in the guide to show how to force a keep left or right vs exit left or right?

How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers
berestovskyy
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby bgodette » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:39 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:Angles aren't perfect because of the scale I was editing at and I was just drawing all of this in the middle of the forest. I probably over exaggerated some things. I re-did some of the cloverleaf images.

I will add a section at the start of the limited access section focusing just on Entrance and Exit ramps with carefully drawn ramps ;)

And good point on zooming in mapcat. I'll work that in also. Tomorrow sometime though ;)
If you feel like adding a bit on DDI, the first one in the US in Springfield is pretty much textbook and looks correct. I'd expect to see more of these as interchanges are (re)built to expand capacity as they're even more space and flow efficient than SPUIs. (yes that means I got over my dislike of DDI)
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:35 am

kentsmith9 wrote:https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lon=-121.88822&lat=37.43497&layers=BFTFTTTTTTFTFFTTTTTTFT
That prevents a clover-leaf U-Turn and will generate a MP for anyone that does it.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:09 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Good point. Check it now. I think that resolves that problem and still provides the original goal preventing the routing from taking you on and off the freeway.

Or are you also commenting we get a MP for those who go straight through on the off/onramp to bypass a little traffic?
Looks good. More complexity than using a single junction at the crossing, but doesn't have any restricted turns to draw in "helpful" editors.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion