Roundabout, Loop or Cul-de-sac?

Post by kentsmith9
I recently ran across a neighborhood in Southern California with a large number of what I would call cul-de-sacs that happen to have a center island for plants. While the road would look like a loop (or a single-point roundabout, I would assume we would map something like this as a cul-de-sac as described in the new great Junction Style Guide from WeeeZer14. ;)

If this is the consensus thinking, I believe we should add the following to the style guide:

# Cul-de-sac (add to current) - Show an image of a cul-de-sac with a center island and clarify this should be mapped as a dead-end as if the island was not there. Explain it is for simplicity and a loop or roundabout is unnecessary.

# Loop (add to current) - Note that a very small loop (we should give some recommended radius) with an island in the center should be mapped as a cul-de-sac. Tell them to see the example above.

# Roundabout (add to linked article on roundabouts) - In the Roundabout article add a section on when a road is NOT a roundabout. It can show the same example from the Junction Style Guide and refer them back to the style guide to create a loop or a cul-de-sac. We should also note the problem with a single looped segment roundabout and how to fix/prevent it.

Note I also sent a PM to the user in the permalink with all the unverified roads to review the road creation documentation to actually get the roads active. It looks like the base map created most of this neighborhood with loops, but the user was changing them to roundabouts.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by omeganon
I only use roundabout when there is more than one road connecting to it. Cul-de-sacs with smallish loops in them I terminate the road in the middle of the island. Having the loop doesn't look good in the client usually and the driver can see what's going on when they are on the road. Of course I can't find one right now to show...
omeganon
Send a message
[img]https:///SgamU[/img]