Documenting Soft and Hard Turns

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Re: Documenting Soft and Hard Turns

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:26 am

bgodette wrote:
CBenson wrote:Can you change turn restrictions from soft to hard by doing anything other than enabling or disabling a restriction from the same segment?

In the public WME not without writing a script. However the current beta allows you to mark the turns hard without modifying the existing turns.

Right, in both editors you have to click an arrow to change turn restrictions from hard to soft. But no other edits to a junction or segment will cause the hard/soft characteristic of the turn restrictions to change, correct? (I understand that deletions can eliminate a turn and thus eliminate turn restrictions and additions can add turns and thus add both soft and hard restrictions.)
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Re: Documenting Soft and Hard Turns

Postby bgodette » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 am

CBenson wrote:Can you change turn restrictions from soft to hard by doing anything other than enabling or disabling a restriction from the same segment?

In the public WME not without writing a script. However the current beta allows you to mark the turns hard without modifying the existing turns.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Documenting Soft and Hard Turns

Postby Timbones » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:37 am

Good job!

I've updated the link from my colour highlights script to point to the Wiki thread. :)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:29 am

More...

4. For intersections that currently exist, if they are disassembled and re-added, the segments moved back to the original segment will have soft restricted turns to all other segments. The original segment not moved will have hard restricted turns to the others that were moved unless they were originally soft turns to those segments and then they will be soft restricted.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 am

I have noticed the Soft Turns work a little differently with the new editor than I remember, or I did not realize it was more complicated than I initially realized.

1. Soft turns will not appear on newly created segments or segments joined to new segments unless there were soft turns present on the original segment.

2. If a segment has hard turns on the left and soft turns on the right, if a new segment is added between them either end of the two newly created segments from the one will mirror the soft and hard turns of the original segment. Meaning the left end of both segments will hard and the right ends will be soft.

3. Once you click on an arrow with soft turns, all arrows from that segment end will turn hard with their original red or green setting. Then additional clicks on the arrow will change only the one arrow to the opposite color from its current setting cycling between red and green for each click from the prior color. The soft turns in this same junction from other segments will not change from soft to hard until that segment is selected and one of the associated soft turns are clicked.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:34 pm

CBenson wrote:But we should now update it with the visuals provided by the new release of the editor.

I just added the two question mark turns, but ran out of time to add the two non-question mark icons. If someone beats me to that they can add it to the page to replace the two older images at the start of that page. Once we get those we can possibly add the images to the table as well to help clarify which is which. That might be better than having them in the text above the table since they now cross over multiple ways. I think the table would be better for that visual.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 pm

I thought I remembered something, but couldn't for the life myself find it.
Thanks.
But we should now update it with the visuals provided by the new release of the editor.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 pm

I thought I previously moved my temp Wiki page to a public view, but I guess not. Here is the current public view http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Soft_and_hard_turns of that page. We already need to update the turn arrows to show the question mark for the soft turn condition that was previously not visible.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 pm

So if you make a turn near 90 degrees (over 45 degrees) where there are only two segments at the junction like from Wheatfield Dr to Daniels Purchase Dr here you do not get a turn instruction. (I don't have the livemap plugin here, but the instructions don't show on the navigation list if I route through that junction on my phone.) I've never seen an instruction in a case like this regardless of the soft/hard status of the turn settings. This is consistent with condition 1 in the wiki.

If you make a turn near 90 degrees onto a one way road like from Menteth Point Dr to southbound Veterans Hwy here, you do get an instruction to turn left. Again, I've noticed no difference dependent on the soft/hard status of the turn settings in circumstance like this. Although, there is only one valid routing option, the turn instruction is given. This is not consistent with condition 1.1 in the wiki.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:05 pm

davipt wrote:Of course it will say turn left.

I agree that it does and should. But my most straightforward reading of the "How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers" wiki section would indicate that if the node is locked that no instruction would be given because that there is only one valid route and thus the maneuver will be "continue straight." But, this is not what actually seems to happen.

Thus, I don't think we should be stating that the soft/hard distinction has an effect on routing instructions in other sections of the wiki.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion