Parking Lot Area Lock Level

Post by moogonk
Currently, Wazeopedia advises a lock level of "3" for parking lot areas:
Due to this major shift in editing guidelines, it is recommended that once a Parking Lot Area (PLA) has been added, that it be locked to 3 to avoid newer editors, or those not familiar with the change, from editing or deleting the PLA.
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pl ... _standards

The changes alluded to in the above section occurred quite some time ago. Are those changes to PLAs now mature enough that we can reconsider that lock level?

It seems to me that a lock level of 3 is too high for 98% of the lots we've mapped. I propose we change the recommended lock level to "2", to align with the guidance for most other Places:
All Places that have complete information (to include, at a minimum, address/city, hours of operation, phone number) are to be locked at Level 2.
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager

POSTER_ID:14875172

Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
I think the PLA should match the respective place: if the place is L2 the PLA should be L2 if the place is L4 the PLA should be L4. If it is a free standing PLA sure leave at L3. it makes little sense to make a PLA and lock it at L3 a and the place be locked at L2. Clearly there may be variation at a regional level however I don't think a the need still exists to keep all PLA at L3.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
A lot of regions have their standard place lock at L3, due to problems with IGN, so I don't support standardizing PLAs at L2. I do agree with removing the "major shift" stuff and the explicit L3. Just think it should be up to the regions to say which lock PLAs should have. By the way, US wiki updates should be posted here, rather than in the global wiki forum. I just updated a template that could have been contributing to this confusion.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by moogonk
Can I assume from the silence that everyone is in agreement?
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk
Country Manager & Multi-State Manager--CT, ME, MA, RI, VT. Rank 5 Resident New Hampshire State Manager

Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms

Post by moogonk
I'm suggesting that this change be made at the national level.

The R3 lock was originally implemented because PLAs were new and unfamiliar. As that is no longer the case, I'm proposing that PLAs be treated like any other Place (R2).

I also like the idea of locking the PLA to the same level as the associated Place (if there is one).
moogonk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Moogonk

Post by SanzClew
I think the base can be safely L2 in general, unless there's attributes we're protecting going forward that Waze has yet to reveal. I would also support higher lock levels to match the venue to which a PLA is attached.
SanzClew
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by SNYOWL
I agree with Sanz that lock level should match the lock level of the place or area. I agree that most PLAs can be locked at L2.
SNYOWL
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by SNYOWL
I would assume that NER could have their own locking standards for PLAs that may differ with the other regions, as long as SMs were in agreement.
SNYOWL
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by tenetienne
Are you looking at this as a long-term solution? Your reference is from the WoP and not the local or regional WoP sections. I note that the above WoP quote is a "recommendation" and not a statue so I'm guessing you aren't expecting a lot of push back from staff.
Would we, NH and possibly NE, expect to be the "odd man out" from the rest of the states? Or have you discussed this with other SMs to investigate adopting it throughout the U.S?
tenetienne
Area Manager
Area Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message