Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Unholy
Hi,

If you remove the roads and navigate to the station (as in adding a stop point) , you will not have the typical 'turn right' instruction to enter the station. You may also end up arriving at the wrong destination if there are several roads close to the landmark but only one that actually leads to it, But in many highway cases it would probably work well.

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
I'm glad to see that the UK is labeling junctions. I've been doing that for my AM area and I've gotten comments from other local Wazers that they like the result on the map. It is of course basically the last thing I do after getting geometry, naming, turns, road type, etc etc taken care of.

I, though, have NOT been snapping the landmark to the roads but have been making the landmark slightly larger than the actual interchange.

Simple example

Complex example

Dual exits (could also do via one landmark with a name such as "I-40 Exit 368 / I-75 Exit 84")

I just always found roads and landmarks snapped to each other to be annoying for some reason.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
ncc1701v wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.
Would the traffic report appear on the landmark, not the road name?
Report would appear on/attached to the road, therefore having the road named GWB would be more useful than if it was named I-95 with a landmark named GWB. Looking at the map, either way would probably work. But we need to think beyond making the map look nice. So to have an alert pop up or show in the list of events in your area and say the name of the bridge or tunnel, we have to apply that name to the road segment(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by wine4sure
scruffy151 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:I just always found roads and landmarks snapped to each other to be annoying for some reason.
You are not the only one that finds that annoying. It makes it harder to edit the geometry of either one when they are on top of each other.
Indeed I found a UR for a UK motorway junction caused by (apparently) one of the roads being snapped to the landmark rather than the roundabout, but of course because they're aligned it wasn't easy to see, hence why someone made the error in the first place.
wine4sure
Send a message

Post by wine4sure
For what it's worth, this is why I like even relatively small landmarks to appear on the map.

As we all know, Waze often navigates to the wrong place (to what it thinks is the nearest street). In some instances I've had to get other resources (laptop, printed streetmap) to actually find out where my destination is, and then work out how to navigate what can be a maze of one-way and residential streets to get to the destination. If I could see where it is on the Waze map, then even with Waze's best attempts to mislead me I could still drive straight there.

There are many other reasons too, eg. simply so I know what's around in an unfamiliar area, for spur-of-the moment decisions to call in at a pub, etc.
wine4sure
Send a message

Post by Wolfeye
antigerme wrote:Landmark not suppress traffic jams, is a myth.
Could we get some proof of that?
Wolfeye
Send a message

Post by Wolfeye
Thank you for the test! I hate speculation (though I do a lot myself) but love facts.

So, if we can exclude landmarks from suppressing traffic. There is only road types left. Plot roads must then suppress traffic? (me speculating)
Do private roads suppress traffic too?
Anything else that could count for report/suppress traffic?
How much below average speed triggers an automatic report?
We know that manual reports don't change routing, it's only for visual alert.
Wolfeye
Send a message

Post by Wolfeye
AndyPoms wrote: HOWEVER,
Unholy wrote:Gas stations and parking lots landmarks do suppress the creation of map problems
So, the guideline not to snap them to a road is a valid one.
What kind of map problems are you talking about?
Wolfeye
Send a message