Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by paulwelch23
rbthomp76 wrote:I think it would be great if parking lots did not appear in the client. Can we have them on a separate layer? I think they present a better solution than parking lot roads (which can get pretty nasty looking especially along frontage roads).

(I'm very thankful that I haven't needed to use Waze to get out of any parking lots!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with this idea. I think it would just confuse the average user.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Tennessee-based CM, focusing on Middle / East TN and Memphis
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

Post by paulwelch23
mapcat wrote: In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.
Wow. I wish I had known that before. So, I assume there is jam suppression from this hidden layer?

paulwelch23
Send a message
Last edited by paulwelch23 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul M. Welch, PE

Post by paulwelch23
It seems that the only point for Landmarks in the USA are to indicate parks, large shopping establishments, gas stations, and stand-alone parking lots. Am I missing something here?

paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Post by paulwelch23
Me either. Only the 3rd party list of stations show near me and they don't seem to be in any particular order.

paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Post by paulwelch23
Unholy wrote: 3. If you wish to prevent "ghost traffic" jams and prevent Waze from navigating you through gas station road, please set the type of road in these gas stations to "parking lot" roads.
Would it be best to do this for other SMALL landmarks that create these jams (fast food joints, dry cleaners, etc.), rather than adding a parking lot landmark? Or is ignoring the waze generated problems like these the best route to avoid cluttering the map? I wish the small parking lot landmarks or parking lot roads could be hidden in the client to prevent clutter.

At least we have some clarification on NA gas stations. Thanks, Unholy. :smile:

paulwelch23
Send a message
Paul M. Welch, PE

Post by petervdveen
If this topic is specific for the US, then why isn't it placed in the US forum?
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform

Contact by email: NL - BE - Lux - Benelux

Post by pitzikun
I've had some thoughts about the parking lot landmark and parking lot roads. The one thing I do see in the client when the parking lot roads show up is typically a jumbled clutter. To me, this looks bad. There is a case when they can be useful, such as marking the road to the Hotel behind the Mcdonalds next to the walmart behind the shopping plaza off the main highway. I'm personally going to delete road'ed parking lots that fit the jumbled mess criteria and replace with landmarks. Then on the main roadway, put very short road segments to denote where a parking lots entrance and exit is located.

I feel like it mights be useful if a landmark of different types could be given their own position in a hierarchy or assigned to a layer. Why not be able to look at a restaurant layer when I'm hungry? I know navigation is great, and it's nice to get an idea of which bridge is gonna have a bigger traffic jam, but it also seems like mapping could be set up now to do more with later.

Also, why do landmarks snap to roads again?
pitzikun
Send a message

Post by razor2k
daknife wrote: Besides how are they accounting for private land mixed in with the National Forest?
+1
razor2k
Send a message
Area Manager: Pinellas, Pasco & Hillsborough Counties FL
Phone: Samsung GS 2, Sprint, Android 4.1.2
Waze: 3.7.2

Waze FAQ...Best Map Editing Practice...Correct Server?...User Manual

Post by rbthomp76
I think it would be great if parking lots did not appear in the client. Can we have them on a separate layer? I think they present a better solution than parking lot roads (which can get pretty nasty looking especially along frontage roads).

(I'm very thankful that I haven't needed to use Waze to get out of any parking lots!!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76
Send a message

Post by Riamus
It is extremely easy to find a hotel using the category search in Waze without it needing to be visible on the map. I think that, in general, the USA landmark guideline thread linked a few posts up is a good reference. I might have a few minor issues with it, but they are certainly minor and not something that really matters all that much. I'm okay with it as it currently stands in that thread.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.