Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby Daknife » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 am

+100
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:37 pm

pitzikun wrote:Also, why do landmarks snap to roads again?

Just to annoy ME. I hate it when I'm trying to adjust a road or junction and end up with a landmark stuck to my mouse pointer. Then I have to turn the landmark layer off, which I tend to forget about until I actually need to use it--weeks later, and then I find that some n00b has come along and drawn every parking lot, Burger King, and Walgreens in town.

Not to mention the problem of snapping a Parking Lot or Gas Station landmark (and possibly others) to an adjacent road and killing all traffic reporting for that section of road...which is invariably a MAJOR intersection that becomes gridlocked as Waze happily routes everyone that way since there's no data showing a delay there.
jasonh300

Postby pitzikun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 am

I've had some thoughts about the parking lot landmark and parking lot roads. The one thing I do see in the client when the parking lot roads show up is typically a jumbled clutter. To me, this looks bad. There is a case when they can be useful, such as marking the road to the Hotel behind the Mcdonalds next to the walmart behind the shopping plaza off the main highway. I'm personally going to delete road'ed parking lots that fit the jumbled mess criteria and replace with landmarks. Then on the main roadway, put very short road segments to denote where a parking lots entrance and exit is located.

I feel like it mights be useful if a landmark of different types could be given their own position in a hierarchy or assigned to a layer. Why not be able to look at a restaurant layer when I'm hungry? I know navigation is great, and it's nice to get an idea of which bridge is gonna have a bigger traffic jam, but it also seems like mapping could be set up now to do more with later.

Also, why do landmarks snap to roads again?
pitzikun

Postby Unholy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,

If you remove the roads and navigate to the station (as in adding a stop point) , you will not have the typical 'turn right' instruction to enter the station. You may also end up arriving at the wrong destination if there are several roads close to the landmark but only one that actually leads to it, But in many highway cases it would probably work well.

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby jasonh300 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:50 am

AndyPoms wrote:Why not use the Gas Station Landmark instead of parking lot roads for gas stations?
1) Both suppress the "ghost traffic jam".
2) You'll get a nice little highlight around the gas station.
3) A lot of gas stations have odd paths through them (in & out & around the pumps), wouldn't it easier just to drop a blob of a landmark over the whole area?

Does any of this create issues with the 3rd party pins?

This was my original question, which I believe Unholy must've missed. I've put in a request for him to come back and address this.
jasonh300

Postby Jpere » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:36 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
Unholy wrote:2. In the NA server, adding a gas station landmark will not add a "pin" to the client's map - Currently the gas stations which appear there originated from a 3rd party data base.
3. If you wish to prevent "ghost traffic" jams and prevent Waze from navigating you through gas station road, please set the type of road in these gas stations to "parking lot" roads.

Playing devil's advocate here...

Why not use the Gas Station Landmark instead of parking lot roads for gas stations?
3) A lot of gas stations have odd paths through them (in & out & around the pumps), wouldn't it easier just to drop a blob of a landmark over the whole area?

I agree with this. Gas Station landmarks also avoid extra roads from appearing on the map and making it look less cluttered.

Could you also have the restaurant landmark suppress traffic in case we need to prevent traffic reports from popular fast food joints with drive-throughs?
Jpere

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Unholy wrote:2. In the NA server, adding a gas station landmark will not add a "pin" to the client's map - Currently the gas stations which appear there originated from a 3rd party data base.
3. If you wish to prevent "ghost traffic" jams and prevent Waze from navigating you through gas station road, please set the type of road in these gas stations to "parking lot" roads.

Playing devil's advocate here...

Why not use the Gas Station Landmark instead of parking lot roads for gas stations?

AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gabmtl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I played around with a few landmarks and now that I was able to test an update on my iphone4s I think we are missing a critical piece in the editor.

We are missing an importance metric for landmarks.

All landmarks should be created if they can be properly maintained. The major or critical landmarks should have a greater importance. At the moment, it seems that the client landmark display is based on size and but it is not always the case, some weird algorithm.

So we need to ask for a change in the editor
e1:- add importance metric for every landmark (so we can put small stuff as non important)
e2:- attach point for label (especially useful for large landmarks)
e4:- many small unimportant landmarks should be visually merged in a no-name landmark. (at the moment they disappear)

Some of the editor changes also apply to the client and vice versa.
We also need to ask for a change in the client for the way landmarks are displayed.
c1:- smaller font on less critical landmarks. Or an option to include specific level landmarks.
c2:- shorter text on long names (so the landmark name does not impact the road names or other landmarks)
c3:- attach point for landmarks (Would be nice to have a small list of available landmarks and their location on map with an arrow or line. This can be based on selected landmark types chosen.)
c4:- wrap around for hyphen words (MrBigshotSuchandSuch-Oldschool-Landmark should be on 2or3 lines so it will be easier to read)
c5:- Critical landmarks to have type visible even if not zoomed in. Hospital, Police. Maybe include Icons for critical landmarks.

We need the Police and Firestation and hospital to be more important than City-Hall, gas stations to have priority over convenience stores and some Supermarkets to have priority over large parks.We need a priority list of all things displayed.

What do you think about this ? :?:
gabmtl

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Is there a way to add stations to that 3rd Party Database? I've gotten numerous URs about gas stations not appearing in that list.
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Unholy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,

jasonh300 has asked me earlier to explain a bit about gas station landmarks in US and World server.

1. In the next version of the WME, there will be an option to mark gas stations and parking lot from the "add" button.
2. In the NA server, adding a gas station landmark will not add a "pin" to the client's map - Currently the gas stations which appear there originated from a 3rd party data base.

If you have any more questions regarding the gas station feature, please post them on the "direct access" forum.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion