Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby Daknife » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:39 am

It's something they were doing in CA at least. I've never actually seen how they show up, as there are very few Shell stations in Utah and none near me. But it's been well discussed due to a coupon/discount campaign they were running with Shell in CA. It was supposed to be a forerunner of things to come as Waze finds ways to monetize Waze.
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby paulwelch23 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Me either. Only the 3rd party list of stations show near me and they don't seem to be in any particular order.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

I wasn't aware that Shell was doing this. None of my local Shell stations appear on the map in any form, except for the ones I put there.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Daknife » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 am

And I recall a thread where someone in Europe posted a map pic regarding some other issue but it was solid landmarks, with roads weaving between them and names overlapping the landmarks to the point that some of them I couldn't tell which landmark they belonged to.

AND

One more point/question with landmarks: Regarding the landmarking and naming of local businesses be they large or small, could a user labeled business being on the map somehow conflict with a Waze marketing agreement like they have with Shell stations? Could Shell complain about all the Chevron and Texaco stations being landmarked for free while they are paying for their advertising agreement (granted I understand the Shell stores get a Shell Logo whereas the competitors would just be landmarks. I don't think it should be an issue, but could it be?
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby CrackedLCD » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 am

jasonh300 wrote:Yes, I name them. In most cases, that means one word...Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. Are there really that many gas stations in one area that they would cause clutter?

It could get that way if every station is landmarked and named. Right now I'm only doing some of the larger stations/truck stops and ones that throw system errors. But I can see the potential for it to get messy, especially if other nearby shopping centres and other landmarks are extensively labelled.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:30 am

We don't like to use the speed-dial too often, lest we become a pain in the ass. However, I've just played my speed-dial card. Let's see what happens.
jasonh300

Postby Jpere » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:38 am

mapcat wrote:Waze doesn't answer a lot of questions.

[...]

I don't know if having two sets of gas station landmarks will affect anything at all. "I really don't think" and "From what I've seen" is all you can offer here, because you don't know. You should, and I should, but we don't. Nobody knows. The only people with the capability to know don't talk. Maybe they don't know either.

Well this is extremely frustrating and defeats the entire purpose of this thread. If we don't have something solid to go on, then for all we know if are making matters worse.

Look, I know you and all the other super editors are not Waze employees nor have a Waze employee on speed dial, but what if you and all other CMs could come together and, in one voice, ask Waze for some guidance. I mean, we volunteer our time to improve our maps and without us Waze would be nothing, so why don't they show us a little bit of respect or concern?

I just don't understand what Waze is doing here. They need some sort of community manager/liason instead of just posting in the forums from time to time and ignoring threads like these.
Jpere

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 am

Right...that's all I can go by is "from what I've seen" and that is that there is no landmark for the gas stations...even the ones that come up in the search and give prices. They're not marked in any way on the map unless they're running a Waze special.

I believe it was dmcconachie that suggested we hold off on drawing the landmarks to see if they would automatically show up from the behind-the-scenes database, which they didn't. Waze inserted a "gas station" button in the beta editor and it's still there, several months later, so I can only assume that they want us to draw in gas stations. Also at that time, in the beta, there was a bunch of extra fields in the gas station landmark where different details about the station could be filled out. That never worked and got yanked pretty quickly, presumably because all that info goes in the other database.

From actually trying it out, the gas station landmark is no different than a PLot landmark, and hasn't had any adverse effects to the other gas station functions. As always, no info from Waze, just testing in actual use.
jasonh300

Postby mapcat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

Jpere wrote:Do you have a link where they make that announcement?

No, because I don't think Waze ever made that announcement. They told everyone worldwide to add gas stations. Then people started adding them and editing them in the USA in response to URs and someone said wait, that won't help, will it, and asked for clarification from on high. If clarification ever appeared I am not aware of it. Waze doesn't answer a lot of questions.

jasonh300 wrote:
mapcat wrote:In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.

Which neither shows the gas station, nor does it suppress traffic. The uneditable layer and the landmark layer are two different things and I really don't think one has anything to do with the other.

From what I've seen, the gas stations layer that we can't edit just has a gps point that shows the gas station, and doesn't cover any area that would suppress traffic.

I don't know if having two sets of gas station landmarks will affect anything at all. "I really don't think" and "From what I've seen" is all you can offer here, because you don't know. You should, and I should, but we don't. Nobody knows. The only people with the capability to know don't talk. Maybe they don't know either.
mapcat

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:27 pm

paulwelch23 wrote:It seems that the only point for Landmarks in the USA are to indicate parks, large shopping establishments, gas stations, and stand-alone parking lots. Am I missing something here?

That's pretty much correct, except you forgot schools and colleges.

In New Orleans, I also map cemeteries and churches because they're a huge part of our history and local culture.

I only map parking lots if they're a repeated problem, and then I'll often get frustrated with the clutter and delete all of them.

I've noticed a lot of little rural graveyards are mapped from the basemap also.
jasonh300

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion