Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby paulwelch23 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:22 pm

It seems that the only point for Landmarks in the USA are to indicate parks, large shopping establishments, gas stations, and stand-alone parking lots. Am I missing something here?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
paulwelch23

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 pm

mapcat wrote:In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.

Which neither shows the gas station, nor does it suppress traffic. The uneditable layer and the landmark layer are two different things and I really don't think one has anything to do with the other.

From what I've seen, the gas stations layer that we can't edit just has a gps point that shows the gas station, and doesn't cover any area that would suppress traffic.
jasonh300

Postby ncc1701v » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:57 pm

mtlgab wrote:4- For bigger shopping malls, parking lot roads make sense for main entrance/exits, but the parking lot roads close to the streets need to be at specific distance in the map otherwise user gets "snapped" to the street.

On the other hand if someone is in a parking lot close to the street, you want Waze to know that traveling there is legitimate or he will get snapped to the main road and instructions will make no sense.

Personally I do not create landmarks including parking lots, but I do create the major parking lot roads out of the big ones, so that Waze can say "proceed to the marked route" and the user will have an easy time of doing so. I also add the perimeter road of a parking lot if and only if it's heavily used.
ncc1701v

Postby HandofMadness » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:44 pm

I know adding gas station landmarks won't affect the gas station/price search, but I don't think it would conflict or cause any problems, with the added benefit of suppressing traffic errors.

Plus the landmarks are small enough they won't show up on the client.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Jpere » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:37 pm

mapcat wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.

Do you name gas station landmarks? I've been naming the ones that were put in to suppress traffic, but I think after a certain number of them are drawn it starts to clutter the map too much.

In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.

Do you have a link where they make that announcement?
Jpere

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:35 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.

Do you name gas station landmarks? I've been naming the ones that were put in to suppress traffic, but I think after a certain number of them are drawn it starts to clutter the map too much.

Yes, I name them. In most cases, that means one word...Shell, Exxon, Chevron, etc. Are there really that many gas stations in one area that they would cause clutter?
jasonh300

Postby mapcat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:32 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:

In the USA, we're not supposed to be adding gas station landmarks. They imported a special uneditable layer for those.
mapcat

Postby CrackedLCD » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:03 pm

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 am

jasonh300 wrote:6. POIs are searchable in the client and have been for quite some time. They don't show on the client though and won't unless a landmark is placed.
Just to be clear, the POIs searched aren't the landmarks in the waze database, correct?
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:24 am

mtlgab wrote:6- We are missing POI in the client. Once that could be activated the landmarks would be less important. We need to have at least the basic ones (Gas, shopping, police, fire, hospital, pharmacy, auto_repair, and a few others.)
9- I see many alerts from Waze regarding undefined gas stations. So for these landmarks we need to understand if the Gas Landmark suppresses trafic or if we need to edit Parking lot roads.

6. POIs are searchable in the client and have been for quite some time. They don't show on the client though and won't unless a landmark is placed.

9. Gas stations suppress traffic. That's never been in question.
jasonh300

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion