Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby Timbones » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:56 pm

davipt wrote:Here's a case of mall+plot example

I don't think the parking lot landmark in this example should be touching the Freeway. For one thing there's a huge green area separating the two.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks

Postby Timbones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am

I don't see how ownership is relevant. Waze is for drivers, and parking lot landmarks should denote the tarmac on which they can park. There's no value including any other land.

via mobile
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 am

DG567 wrote:The wiki clearly tells us not to landmark businesses, yet editors in the UK map virtually every large, out of town supermarket.....

Large out of town supermarkets are the exception to the 'no businesses' rule as they are large, prominent 'landmarks' which rarely change brands.

via mobile
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:12 am

AndyPoms wrote:No, they are not an exception.

They are in our editing guidelines.

via mobile
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Timbones » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I was replying to the UK editor who raised issue of supermarkets... I can see how this is confusing in a US thread, sorry.

[Edit: isn't there a separate thread about landmarks in the US forum?]

via mobile
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Unholy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi everyone,

jasonh300 has asked me earlier to explain a bit about gas station landmarks in US and World server.

1. In the next version of the WME, there will be an option to mark gas stations and parking lot from the "add" button.
2. In the NA server, adding a gas station landmark will not add a "pin" to the client's map - Currently the gas stations which appear there originated from a 3rd party data base.
3. If you wish to prevent "ghost traffic" jams and prevent Waze from navigating you through gas station road, please set the type of road in these gas stations to "parking lot" roads.

If you have any more questions regarding the gas station feature, please post them on the "direct access" forum.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Unholy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi,

If you remove the roads and navigate to the station (as in adding a stop point) , you will not have the typical 'turn right' instruction to enter the station. You may also end up arriving at the wrong destination if there are several roads close to the landmark but only one that actually leads to it, But in many highway cases it would probably work well.

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby WeeeZer14 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm glad to see that the UK is labeling junctions. I've been doing that for my AM area and I've gotten comments from other local Wazers that they like the result on the map. It is of course basically the last thing I do after getting geometry, naming, turns, road type, etc etc taken care of.

I, though, have NOT been snapping the landmark to the roads but have been making the landmark slightly larger than the actual interchange.

Simple example

Complex example

Dual exits (could also do via one landmark with a name such as "I-40 Exit 368 / I-75 Exit 84")

I just always found roads and landmarks snapped to each other to be annoying for some reason.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:47 pm

For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:44 am

ncc1701v wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:For bridges, at first I was thinking I liked the landmark idea, BUT then I thought about traffic/accident reports. Seeing something pop up saying there is a jam on the George Washington Bridge is probably more useful than seeing I-95 as the location.

Would the traffic report appear on the landmark, not the road name?

Report would appear on/attached to the road, therefore having the road named GWB would be more useful than if it was named I-95 with a landmark named GWB. Looking at the map, either way would probably work. But we need to think beyond making the map look nice. So to have an alert pop up or show in the list of events in your area and say the name of the bridge or tunnel, we have to apply that name to the road segment(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion