Need to add Parser Functions Extension to Wiki Server

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Need to add Parser Functions Extension to Wiki Server

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:58 am

If you look at the Connecticut page (I'm on my phone, link in my signature), there are links to subsections of other pages - I want to say to look in the "Special Road Types" section.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:31 am

I'm new to wiki editing, so I didn't know...

Although, there are several things I've found about editing styles that I just can't do on Waze... (I.e. hidden text that appears/expands on clicking something)
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Need to add Parser Functions Extension to Wiki Server

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 am

Do any of us volunteers have access to add the Parser Functions extension to our Wiki? We need admin access.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ParserFunctions

If not, I will send a request to Support.

These extensions enable us to do special Wiki things like link directly to sections of pages regardless of the section title or if there is a section title (Wiki Template:Anchor). For example the Glossary page can only be linked to the top of the page. Today if we wanted to link to a specific definition, you have to create a section to each one, or (hmmmm...) I guess we could put each definition into a template and the glossary page calls each template. However that makes maintenance horrible just to get links. Adding the Parser Functions should get us there.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:27 am

AndyPoms wrote:If you look at the Connecticut page (I'm on my phone, link in my signature), there are links to subsections of other pages - I want to say to look in the "Special Road Types" section.

Your links are using the built in links to section headings. Not the same thing.

I am talking about links to pages where there are no particular section headings. My example of the Glossary is a good one to think about. You cannot point to a single definition on that page without making every entry a section heading. Other uses are when you want to link to more description of a topic, but it is a small piece of another section. This extension also permits other advanced template operations that we could take advantage of here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:25 am

AndyPoms wrote:I'm new to wiki editing, so I didn't know...

Although, there are several things I've found about editing styles that I just can't do on Waze... (I.e. hidden text that appears/expands on clicking something)

Hey no problem. I hope I did not come across arrogant. I know everyone is new at everything at some point of their lives.

I am not familiar with hidden text that appears in Wiki markup unless you are talking about text that appears when you hover over an object like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Abbr
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:35 pm

We did finally get the parser functions added. For anyone interested you can see the specific functions at the bottom of this Wiki special page.

Discussion on using the Parser Function extensions and other Parser extensions is here.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion