Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Post by
I propose that we use this thread to have anyone enter the things that they could not find in the Wiki. This can be individual terms, phrases, or sentences; essentially anything that first came to mind when searching the Wiki, but did not see the results desired.

From that list we can determine if that subject is already covered in the wiki, but it just needs a better link to the term, phrase, or sentence used. I have been doing this already on items I find discussed in the forums, but many times I don't know what other ways people think about searching for topics.

The way we solve this in the Wiki is by using the #REDIRECT command to link that search term with a particular Wiki page or section. For each topic added we can reply to that entry when it is complete or note if it requires a new section first.

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.
Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.

However, since this road type is going to be removed anyway, I'm not sure there's a point in expending much effort on improving wiki searches for it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
russblau wrote:I dunno; people are still going to want to know how to handle service/frontage/access roads in the editor, even in the absence of a specific road type.
I see your point.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I've recently added ROW, which was also added to the [[Glossary]].
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PesachZ wrote:A page defining (with objectives, and goals to achieve) community roles I.e. local champ, global champ, country manager, regional coordinator. There is an area manager page already which I did find. Perhaps this doesn't yet exist, if so maybe it should.
The US forum has some of this defined, but as noted in the thread, not all is defined yet. Since this can differ (slightly?) by country, there may need to be country-specific subpages.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I tried to search for the in-app icons (i.e. the Hazard Pin, the Red Light Camera Icon, etc) got to https://www.waze.com/wiki/Icon_(disambiguation), but I was really looking for https://www.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Symbols. Can we add the Waze Symbols page to the Icon (disambiguation) page?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by bummerdude69
Was asked to find "frebola" on the wiki. Not seeing it
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
Looking for Port of Entry (border patrol/ inspection station) and if/ how to map them.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4839675
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
qwaletee wrote:
bummerdude69 wrote:Looking for Port of Entry (border patrol/ inspection station) and if/ how to map them.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... st=4839675

I don't think we have wiki guidance on it, which is why you could not find it. This isn't an "improve searching issue."
Sorry, you're right. :oops: I should've clarified, I included the rest, in case I was looking for the wrong terms. ;)
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I would suggest that key words like "address" result in finding the new "House Numbers" page.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902