Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Postby orbitc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm

I am a little confused from your initial post now. The JSG link is a good example of how to link to the Wiki to a specific page. Are you trying to link to a particular section of that document?

Yes, I gave this as a reference point. He/She had other question that I knew this page would help.

Or were you trying to find something specific on "end nodes" and could not find it yourself so you used that JSG as a substitute?

Initially, Yes. I wanted to pin point the "end node", But, I believe that is covered as dead end.

Did you have "end node" as your search and that turned up lots of seemingly unrelated pages in other languages?

Yes, I got multiple answers and there were many with other languages as well.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:04 pm

OK. I think the other thread I started in the Wiki forum on End Points will solve that problem for future searches. Thanks for bringing it up.
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:OK. I think the other thread I started in the Wiki forum on End Points will solve that problem for future searches. Thanks for bringing it up.

Thank you for your help
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester
• iOS ßeta: Always the latest version
• WME ßeta

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WME | USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby Mike-1323 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Searching for "toll" or "toll road" does not return the toll roads as a page title match or a page text match. However, searching for "toll roads" takes you directly to toll road section of the best map editing practice page.

Shouldn't the best editing practices page at least show up as a match for the first two searches?
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:22 am

Mike-1323 wrote:Searching for "toll" or "toll road" does not return the toll roads as a page title match or a page text match. However, searching for "toll roads" takes you directly to toll road section of the best map editing practice page.

Shouldn't the best editing practices page at least show up as a match for the first two searches.

In a word, Yes. :mrgreen:

The problem is our Wiki seems unusually limited in its search capability. Wikipedia does a much more effective job at coming up with "possible" matches compared to what the Waze Wiki will do. Perfect example of the feedback we need from Wiki searches. Every time I look for something in the Wiki, if I cannot find it I keep looking until I do and then link the prior searches through redirects to help future searches.

So I added redirects for both of those terms and "Toll booth" to link to the best practices page. I then cross linked that entry to the Segment properties page that shows the Toll Road check box and vis-a-versa.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I would suggest that key words like "address" result in finding the new "House Numbers" page.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 pm

CBenson wrote:I would suggest that key words like "address" result in finding the new "House Numbers" page.

Good idea. In fact since there are a couple of uses for "Address" I created a disambiguation page for address.

If there are other uses for Address we can add them as well.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:04 pm

"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.
CM: Thailand CM: USA
[ img ]
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.

Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.

However, since this road type is going to be removed anyway, I'm not sure there's a point in expending much effort on improving wiki searches for it.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby russblau » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.

Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.

However, since this road type is going to be removed anyway, I'm not sure there's a point in expending much effort on improving wiki searches for it.

I dunno; people are still going to want to know how to handle service/frontage/access roads in the editor, even in the absence of a specific road type.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
MAR MSM; State Manager: District of Columbia
AM Sussex County, DE/Westchester/Putnam/Rockland Counties, NY
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion