Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Improve Wiki Searches - List what you could not find

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:08 pm

I tried to search for the in-app icons (i.e. the Hazard Pin, the Red Light Camera Icon, etc) got to https://www.waze.com/wiki/Icon_(disambiguation), but I was really looking for https://www.waze.com/wiki/Waze_Symbols. Can we add the Waze Symbols page to the Icon (disambiguation) page?
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:03 am

sketch wrote:Information about searching in the client seems pretty difficult to get to. There doesn't seem to be any article which specifically covers searching, so perhaps "search", "client search", "app search"

Great one. We now have a Search disambiguation page with 6 different entries. I then created a bunch of redirects using mainly "APPNAME Search" and "Search APPNAME" to their respective locations.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Information about searching in the client seems pretty difficult to get to. There doesn't seem to be any article which specifically covers searching, so perhaps "search", "client search", "app search", and so forth should link to How to Navigate, or maybe to a disambiguation page that says "For search in the client, see How to Navigate. For search in the editor, see..." pointing to some part of some article which might cover search within the editor. Although there doesn't seem to be any such section in the Wiki, since editor search is somewhat self-explanatory.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone having trouble with search should review this other thread until the temporary Wiki search failures are fixed.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby danofsatx » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Looks like search isn't working at all today. I get nothing returned on any search string.
danofsatx
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:57 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.

Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.

We don't have control of where they appear in the results page (and I have not seen any plug-ins that will do that for us). Today we can only force the searched name to be redirected to a page.

What we could do is have them go to this page and then at the top say this page is USA specific with a link to a page that lists all other countries for other country specific guidelines. Note that some countries do have more specific info and others have nothing.

I believe we often use USA as the base page and then have links to other countries based on user base being currently highest in the USA. We currently have a few of the road types already linking to this page, so this might be an further improvement to the current solution.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:44 pm

russblau wrote:I dunno; people are still going to want to know how to handle service/frontage/access roads in the editor, even in the absence of a specific road type.

I see your point.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby russblau » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:43 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
shawndoc wrote:"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.

Since we can't make a redirect because these are not country-specific, we may need Kent and his wiki-foo to figure out how to get them appear higher.

However, since this road type is going to be removed anyway, I'm not sure there's a point in expending much effort on improving wiki searches for it.

I dunno; people are still going to want to know how to handle service/frontage/access roads in the editor, even in the absence of a specific road type.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 pm

However, since this road type is going to be removed anyway, I'm not sure there's a point in expending much effort on improving wiki searches for it.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandofMadness » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:04 pm

"Service Road" and "Service Roads" should pull up the USA Road Types page on the first page of results. I got UK and Italian pages that discuss road types, but not the USA page.
HandofMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion