Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Why no Delete Junctions?

Post by jondrush
Is there a reason that deleting a junction was left out of this page? http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... _junctions
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:13337

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I would also suggest editing this section (http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Junction) to be consistent with any changes that result from this discussion.
jasonh300 wrote:
Then, press the d key to remove the unwanted node.
This doesn't happen either. You have to hit Del or click the trash can.
This maybe moot if the bride discussion is deleted, but this does happen. All that is being said here is that you can get rid of the geometry node left behind by the bridge function by pressing the d key.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:Jondrush, after you complete your edits of the http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... t_segments page can you reply here? Then we can review and all confirm this is what we all believe.

Then we should make the same changes to http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Junction as CBenson proposed.
Was this completed? I still don't like the absence of the simple use the trash can icon / delete key method in the discussion here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... o_segments
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I agree, the Quick Start Guide seems to be good guidance.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
One method highlights the two segments and bridges them together and the other method will drag one junction on top of the other junction.
Neither one of these should be in there. Bridging should only be used when you actually want to make a bridge, since it raises the level of the road one level. The second can cause problems because if there's a geometry node in there, it might not be obvious and will give an error when saving.
This method is the preferred method, because it enables the WME to alert you when there are legitimate differences between the segments. When the segments are different, the bridge icon will not appear at the junction.
This should be stated as "Click the junction and hit delete. If nothing happens, the segments are different."
Then, press the d key to remove the unwanted node.
This doesn't happen either. You have to hit Del or click the trash can.

This looks like it was pulled out of a page from the old Cartouche instructions.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Spil wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:
This method is the preferred method, because it enables the WME to alert you when there are legitimate differences between the segments. When the segments are different, the bridge icon will not appear at the junction.
This should be stated as "Click the junction and hit delete. If nothing happens, the segments are different."
Actually, " ... the segments are different, or a segment direction is set to Unknown" would be a more accurate description; even if all the segment data is identical, you can't delete a junction between segments of "unknown" direction.
True, but my point is that there's no need to use the bridge function when you can just click and hit delete, in addition to the negative side effect of raising up the level.

That's something that's always been counterintuitive for new editors for some reason, myself included. I deleted thousands of segments using the bridge function before I somehow realized I could hit delete and there are a lot of posts in the forums mentioning the same problem. It's never been clearly documented in the Wiki, although I thought it was finally put in there sometime a few months back...probably somewhere else in the Wiki. Maybe kentsmith, who I believe wrote that section, didn't have that revelation either at the time he wrote this.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote: This maybe moot if the bride discussion is deleted, but this does happen. All that is being said here is that you can get rid of the geometry node left behind by the bridge function by pressing the d key.
Okay, that's very unclear. But I see what you mean. That should be changed from "node" to "geometry node" for clarity.

Also, the heading "Merging Junctions" should be "Merging Segments" as you're creating one segment out of two. I guess you could also be creating one junction out of two, but it makes a lot more sense as "Merging Segments"

Remember, we need to make this as clear as possible to someone who doesn't know our terminology. Nodes and junctions is confusing because a junction really is a node, and Waze staff actually refers to junctions as "nodes".

There should be a brief definition of terms at the beginning of that section, defining the language we use..."segment", "junction" and "geometry node". I know this is elsewhere in the Wiki, but if a new editor comes to this first and hasn't read that part, then they're going to be confused. If we don't want to put the definitions there, a link to the definitions could be placed.

Isn't there some coding in the Wiki that allows a small popup window to be used for definitions? I could swear I"ve seen this on other non-Wikipedia Wikis. If there is such a thing, it would be greatly helpful throughout our Wiki.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:Was this completed? I still don't like the absence of the simple use the trash can icon / delete key method in the discussion here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... o_segments
It's here in the Quick Start Guide, which was the first link in the post. I don't see why this can't just be copied into the other page also.

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Junction
If you are certain the junction is not fulfilling one of the above purposes, then you can remove it with one of three ways:
Click on the junction and it will change to a red dot, then click the trash can icon, or use keyboard shortcut Delete or Del key (not backspace).
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
That's why I asked. I'll bring it up to snuff and rename the sections too.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Never got back around to this one.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message