Why no Delete Junctions?

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Why no Delete Junctions?

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:08 am

Just caught up with the post. Yes I created that section from scratch in August. Yes I was unaware of the "Del" option at the time I wrote that section. I might have been creating that section during one of my late night zombie states because I see some typos in my original work (already fixed by Jondrush). :oops:

The section uses the Junction term because this is a section on Junctions. I have put in Removing junctions with only two segments. If we don't like that we can adjust further.

Jondrush, after you complete your edits of the http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... t_segments page can you reply here? Then we can review and all confirm this is what we all believe.

Then we should make the same changes to http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Junction as CBenson proposed.

On the topic of the Bridge icon changing the level. I have never really run into that as a problem. It is a function in the editor and the icon will appear in front of editors. We should either explain how to use it or tell editors what it does and why they should not use it.

On the topic of Drag Together it is an operation that exists. Like the Bridge icon we should either explain how to use it properly and provide the drawbacks, or tell them never to do it and explain clearly why not. Frankly there are times when the segment is so short it is not possible to pick the two segments on either side and it is easier to pick the junction and slide it. To check for any geometry node, simply pull the mouse a farther distance away to see if the segment pivots in the middle or at the far junction to know if there is a node. You can also recommend the user immediately save after the drag option to immediately verify there is no geo node in there.

CBenson properly decoded the comment on using the d key to remove the unwanted node. Again it may have been one of my zombie modes that created that text one night. :D

As for the pop-up window in the Wiki, I think that question was raised months ago, maybe even my Jasonh300, and I think I investigated but have never seen this before and I don't think I found anything on it. Either way I think I have a solution described next.

We have the page called glossary that covers all the definitions for nodes and the like that is covered in these sections. Typically a Wiki would hyperlink the first use of any questionable term back into the glossary. The current problem is that we do not have the ability to link to "anchors" on a page and can only link to section headings. If we link a term to the glossary page it goes to the top of the page and I personally think it confuses readers. Although I guess we could easily put text at the top of the page that tells the reader to scroll alphabetically to the entry being referenced. Otherwise we would need to make each entry a separate heading. Now that I think about it we could easily make them low enough section headings to appear like normal or maybe just bolded text followed by the descriptions. Then we could link directly to each entry. Let me give that a test try. Then we can just hyperlink the first use of terms on a page to the immediate glossary entry to solve the problem. I will reply with a test page when I complete it.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:47 am

New Glossary with linkable entries - Complete - Holy cr_p that was so incredibly easy and using section headings level 4 looks nearly identical to the original glossary. Here is an example link for the Wiki:

If you want to removed the extra geometry node, simply press the "d" key.

If you link to just the Glossary it goes to the top of the page with a simple instruction and the TOC. Currently the TOC is on so we can easily link to subsections while we edit the pages. Once we have most of that complete we can disable the TOC if we think it is too cumbersome.

I recommend we go through the glossary terms. We need to be pretty final on the current section headers since that exact name/spelling is going to be part of the actual hyperlink from our other pages. I have been updating them over time, and for example I think I have the various node definitions covered, but I have not looked at it in some time and there is possibly some Zombie text in there as well. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 am

I have updated the Wiki entry for http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Crea ... o_segments to include (and match) the preferred method in the quick start guide http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_ ... a_Junction
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Spil » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am

jasonh300 wrote:
This method is the preferred method, because it enables the WME to alert you when there are legitimate differences between the segments. When the segments are different, the bridge icon will not appear at the junction.

This should be stated as "Click the junction and hit delete. If nothing happens, the segments are different."
Actually, " ... the segments are different, or a segment direction is set to Unknown" would be a more accurate description; even if all the segment data is identical, you can't delete a junction between segments of "unknown" direction.
I'm Spil, and I approve this message! :D
~ ~ AM: Upstate NY; CM: USA/Canada ~ ~
Wazing the I-86 Corridor with my Casio C771 G'zOne Commando
New York Editors: To-Do List!
Spil
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion