Post by AndyPoms
Nacron wrote:When shields were first introduced I had to embark l email admin to add because Hawaii's "interstates" are named H1, H2, H201 and H3 and this wasn't acceptable by the automatic shielding convention
Are you designating them "I-H1" or just "H1"?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by ArlenBystander
McCracken808 wrote: And we don't have U.S. Highways. Only interstates. 3 of them :lol:
I get a chuckle out of that one whenever I visit.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by banished
When there was a vote among the Florida AMs to adopt a US-xx, SR-xx, and CR-xx naming convention, certain facts were known and understood. These were (and are) the shield issue and variances in SR-xx (State Road vs. State Route vs. State Highway vs. two-letter state abbreviations).

We’re not going to fix the shield issue. That’s in Waze’s court. We chose not to wait for something that may never come.

We’re not going to fix how TTS deals with 50 individual state abbreviations.

In Florida, the state routes/highways are State Roads, but TTS pronounces “SR” as “State Route.” It wasn’t a show-stopper.

At the risk of sounding snarky (but intended as wry humor), most know what state they’re driving in so SR-xx is a satisfactory abbreviation. If some states use SR-xx and some use the state abbreviation, I would venture that complicates the shield issue for Waze. I am not in a position to know just how much more complicated.

The vote was to adopt the convention. It was not intended as a 100 percent solution, but as a reasonable course of action given certain Waze limitations. The proposal offered for vote amongst the Florida AMs is here:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1NKeP ... kQ5VlViUTg

I hope this helps the discussion.

Best,
banished
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP

Post by banished
Does adding an alternate name, such as in the old I- xx format, have any impact?

I don't know the answer, either, but perhaps worth investigating.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by banished
Agreement to eliminate the space after the hyphen came about a a result of forum discussions leading up to last years meetup, and then finalized at the meetup...I'm reaonably certain. There wasn't agreement to run out and fix/adjust them all the next day, but more of a catch-as-catch-can attitude. Even then we had pretty much given up on shield generation.
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
rottielover wrote:
The actual Interstate is set to freeway and named "I-44 E" and "I-44 W" but does not produce the shield icon.
From what I understand, putting the cardinal directions in I-44 E, it wont produce a shield. They were trying to get Waze to accept the cardinals for shields, but nothing yet.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I have two issues, neither of which is a deal killer. First, is a timing issue, the few state routes that have the number as the primary name around here are currently labeled "State Hwy #" and the shields have just (in last few weeks) begun to show on my phone again. Second, most roads around here are given the name rather than than route number when both exist. So I would want this description of route numbers to be put in the context of proper primary and secondary road naming. In other words someone should not read the section on state routes and come away with the impression that just because there is a route number it should be used as the primary street name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:Seriously though, it has been mentioned elsewhere that the display would always show a shield.
Don't you mean the client map? I haven't heard that reports, for example, are expected to the use the shield.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Interesting. I have not bothered to update the naming, but rather change the name to match the new wiki guidelines when I have some other reason to edit the segment. Upon looking at the shields, it appears you are correct. I'm only seeing the shield where the space remains in the name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by cbwierda
I find a conflict in what I am reading in the forums and what is in the Wiki.

I am about to do a complete canvas of a county in Michigan and would like to at least match the standard. But which standard to match?

I see NEW tags on that page, but most of the items seem to point at an older understanding.

I may just have to drop the name part of the check for now and just get the types and directionality right.
cbwierda
Send a message
Traveller
Ann Arbor, MI, USA