Post by jasonh300
Calling them "Highway ##" is too ambiguous and you're not likely to find any map or GPS that does that.

Having lived in Mississippi, my experience is that most people know the difference between a state highway and a US highway and an interstate and the ones who honestly don't have never traveled outside of the county they were born in and aren't likely to ever need GPS navigation anyway. As time progresses, there are fewer and fewer of those people.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
kentsmith9 wrote:Is there a reason we are recommending including the "-" in all? (Or maybe I am the only one doing that. :lol: )
I think we have to use the dash so that Waze knows it's a highway number and not just some random letters and numbers.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
What shows on the map really should be standardized across the U.S., and if we can ever get the TTS to go state by state, that will fix these problems. I agree that "route" is generally not used anywhere in the south. As a teenager when Depeche Mode came out with their remake of "Route 66", I guess I knew they were referring to some sort of a highway, but did not realize that it was a U.S. Highway. A route was something that trucks and buses, or the paper boy followed.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
harling wrote:I've been saying it since the topic first came up, and I'll keep saying it: use the standard two-letter state code for state routes/highways rather than a generic "SR-", and translate it for the speech processor according to local custom. For example, MA-nn would be "Route nn", which would make sense to the locals both visually and audibly. ["SR-"anything is almost as foreign as calling rotaries "roundabouts". ;-)]
I see your point. That would be easier than having to do

Code: Select all

IF road=SR-## AND state=Alabama THEN say State Highway ## 
for every state.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Obviously for California, we'll just have the client read and display "The" and a number regardless of the type of highway. :lol:

Seriously though, it has been mentioned elsewhere that the display would always show a shield. This would include in the step-by-step directions, as Sketch illustrated in a mockup somewhere in the wiki. Those shields could even be specific to the state, rather than the standard black and white oval.

---------
Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:Seriously though, it has been mentioned elsewhere that the display would always show a shield.
Don't you mean the client map? I haven't heard that reports, for example, are expected to the use the shield.
Yes, the client map. The roads on the client map would show a shield everywhere, and never show our code for the state highway. I forgot about reports, but if they can get the shield to show in other places, there's no reason they can't get the shield to show in reports also.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
The change was made nearly a year ago. Most of the southeastern US has been updated to have the spaces removed and the shield display is very consistent. When you make the change, the shields will go away for a little while, but eventually will come back.

The old convention with the space will still show a shield also.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
For a few months, no shields worked at all anywhere around here. When the shields started working again, every Interstate got them, although there are still some places where the text shows.

The current standard is to not put the space. If there are places where the space still is there, leave them alone for now. We're still waiting on new shield functionality that will probably make the naming with space or no space irrelevant.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I think the main concern is to get the shields on the interstates, and then maybe the U.S. Highways. The I-## convention (no space) has been in place since the middle of January. At the same time we were told that they would make US-## work with the US Highway shields, and that has never happened at all.

I couldn't care less about shields on a state highway. It would be nice, but it's not that big of a deal.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I sent a report to the developers about I-15. I'll let you know when I get a reply.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message