State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Post by
When I first started, the Wiki was somewhat in disarray and the ramp naming had been going through a lot of debate. At that time as I was coming up to speed I found quite a bit of inconsistency in how State Routes and US Routes were supposed to be named on the map based on the Wiki and actual names in the map itself.

I know a few states have decided to follow particular guidelines that are a little different from the general Wiki recommendations based on their local needs just as we do for separate countries.

I did some general searching in the forums, but the key target words are too widely discussed to find anything specific to my current proposal. So if someone recalls this discussion was already covered, feel free to comment or post a link if possible so we can link the conversation.

Proposal
For the United States, I propose that we change the Wiki here to recommend editors use the following convention when naming roadways (not the ramps which are already following this recommendation):
Segment Name - Detailed Description
SR-70 - State Route 70 with both directions as one road
SR-70 S - State Route 70 South with one direction for the road
SR-84 - State Highway 84 (using SR for both Route and Highway as with ramp names)
US-101 - United States Highway 101 with both directions as one road

Justification
1. All current ramps follow this convention to enable the least # letters onscreen to aid non-TTS visual navigation.
2. Current TTS properly parses "SR-70" as "State Route 70".
3. This reduces map text clutter by significantly reducing the number of letters strewn across the map.
4. Many parts of the map today are already following this convention either due to confusion between ramp naming and road naming, or having never reviewed the Wiki.
5. When updating roadway names it is faster and shorter to enter less total letters.
6. In California, Cal Trans uses the short acronym SR-xxx for State Route xxx in many of their public documents. I don't know for other states.
7. Many states already passed recommendations that use this convention for their state for most of the reasons already covered.
8. The Interstate Freeways are already entered as "I-xxx" for roadways and ramps and not "Interstate xxx" or some other abbreviation over one letter.
9. It would be consistent to have roadways named the same as the ramp names for consistency to the Waze drivers.

I understand that Road Shields are directly tied to the road segment name, but I also believe there are currently issues with road shields working properly with even the correct names. I should hope that Waze can assign road shields based on the same abbreviated road names as the TTS decodes today.

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I'm kinda okay with this. In Oregon, all routes are referred to verbally as "highway" though.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Now that we know how Waze will be implementing shields based on data objects, should this be untabled again? :)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We know we'll have shield control pretty soon based on data structure. WazeBar for Safari displays this info when present in the data.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The next version of the editor should have the direct shield specification ability. I don't know if we should spend a lot of time worrying about workarounds or kludgy fixes at this time.

http://www.waze.com/forum/download/file.php?id=6920

When it looks cool like that and we can directly manipulate it, I think all this discussion can go away. Hope, hope, hope...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
I agree that for US Routes, we should drop the "Rte" or "Hwy" and just name them "US-##"...

I have also proposed in other places, and support here, completely dropping the "State Rte", "State Hwy" & "SR-" nomenclature in favor of state abbreviations (i.e. "CT-", "MA-", "PA-") for several reasons. 1) It's already done in several states in Waze, and in most commectical GPS units. As well as being used by many of the states themselves.
2) By differentiating between the states, it creates the possibility of adding state specific shields in the future
3) In theory, TTS should be able to translate "Ct" to "Court", "CT" to "Connecticut", and "CT-" to "Route" using a look-up table of some kind
3a) Since we use different servers for NA & ROTW, theoretically the abbreviations can be reused by using different look-up tables on each server.

HOWEVER, I think any change should wait till we find out what Waze intends to do with shields...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
WeeeZer14 wrote:* I perviously mentioned using "SR-xx" and doing a translation/lookup based on the state the segment is in. But I later had the thought that near borders you will have ramps leading to highways in other states. So we can't rely on the state field of the segment to give us the proper translation.
That's why I suggest using "CT-##" or "MA-##" and the "CT-" or "MA-" triggers the translation, NOT the state field... That way the ramp that is in CT that leads to MA-## will trigger the MA- lookup...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
jondrush wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote: * Any thoughts on what to do with Primary vs. Secondary routes? For part of PA they are using "PA-xx" for primary and "SR-xxxx" for the secondaries. In TN there are primary and secondary and less of a distinction between them. And the same numbered route may change between primary and secondary along its path.
I think it comes down to expectations of a shield in the client. In PA, SR-xxxx roads do not get shields in real life and are almost always referred to by another name.
I think this could come down to signed vs unsigned roads... If there are signs with numbers on the road in Real Life, then we put it in Waze; if there aren't, then we don't.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Now that we know how Waze will be implementing shields based on data objects, should this be untabled again? :)
How about we let them implement it first (at least in WME Beta) - what we think they will be doing could change between now and then...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
harling wrote:I've been saying it since the topic first came up, and I'll keep saying it: use the standard two-letter state code for state routes/highways rather than a generic "SR-", and translate it for the speech processor according to local custom. For example, MA-nn would be "Route nn", which would make sense to the locals both visually and audibly. ["SR-"anything is almost as foreign as calling rotaries "roundabouts". ;-)]
I've been saying the same thing in various posts...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
txemt wrote:This was a private conversation I was having with another manager about the shields around Texas. I can confirm shields are displayed for the first permalink and the two on I-45 outside of Houston. In te editor, I-37 S shows the shield in the name, but not I-37 N. Same with I-35 through San Antonio, but when 35 get to the outside loop of San Antonio, the shield disappears all together, both in the client and in the editor.
We're currently working with Waze about the shield issue. It may have to wait till we get actual shield control in WME, as there doesn't seem to be any logic to which roads are getting/not getting shields (I-## vs I- ## as well as those with/without N/S/W/E appended).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager