State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:19 am

I have found it very inconsistent in the SF Bay Area. Segments of I-880 show the shield and segments show the text. Both are named the same from what I can see.

This shows a shield on the client

This shows text on the client

Both were last edited by me in mid October. I have looked at them and have not determined what could be different to cause the shield difference. I have never sent the example to support.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:02 pm

The Wiki shows no space in the formatting of the road name on either side of the "-" http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road ... n-ramps.29
I believe there are a couple of threads here that discuss removing the extra space. Are you just making a general comment, or are you suggesting a specific note in the Wiki on this topic?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby McCracken808 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:45 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Is there anywhere that using the two letter state code would either confuse people because they don't think that way or confuse people because the abbreviation looks like it is something else? (Like if a state was abbreviated as "US" that would be a problem ;) )...

Here in Hawaii, locals never use numbers for state roads. It's always "<name> Highway". "Highway 76" or "State Route 76" are not used.

And we don't have U.S. Highways. Only interstates. 3 of them :lol:
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

ImageImageImage
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.7.8, Mazda3
McCracken808

Postby Nacron » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:26 am

McCracken808 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Is there anywhere that using the two letter state code would either confuse people because they don't think that way or confuse people because the abbreviation looks like it is something else? (Like if a state was abbreviated as "US" that would be a problem ;) )...

Here in Hawaii, locals never use numbers for state roads. It's always "<name> Highway". "Highway 76" or "State Route 76" are not used.

And we don't have U.S. Highways. Only interstates. 3 of them :lol:

4, H201 is also an interstate.
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 4.3 MJ4 | Waze 3.7.7.0 Official
[Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Hawaii Island, Molokai] Hawaii Area Manager
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Nacron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm

When shields were first introduced I had to embark l email admin to add because Hawaii's "interstates" are named H1, H2, H201 and H3 and this wasn't acceptable by the automatic shielding convention

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | 4.3 MJ4 | Waze 3.7.7.0 Official
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: Re: State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Postby Nacron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:09 am

AndyPoms wrote:
Nacron wrote:When shields were first introduced I had to embark l email admin to add because Hawaii's "interstates" are named H1, H2, H201 and H3 and this wasn't acceptable by the automatic shielding convention
Are you designating them "I-H1" or just "H1"?

I originally renamed them to I-H1 W and the like but they didn't create shields so I renamed them back to W H1 Fwy and the like and had them manually create shields based on my permalink of the selected segments. I may do the same for the state and city highways as local naming conventions use names instead of numbers but they do exist

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Nacron
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

If I understand correctly, we should try to avoid editing any signed highway segments we can for the time being, i.e. ones that don't need any other work other than highway naming clean-up, in order to prevent currently "surviving" shield information along that road to be lost, which apparently happens when you save any kind of update to a highway segment.

Of course, once shield editing is available in the WME, this will all probably be moot, and we could probably just pick the shield and number, and the primary street name can be whatever the post office prefers for addresses there.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New York City; New Jersey
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby rbthomp76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:41 pm

I find it odd that Waze would call roads one thing when the locals call them another. Specifically, our state highways are called highways here in Mississippi. As such, IMHO, changing them to state routes will only cause confusion on the drivers part. I'm fairly sure that my Garmin calls them highways. (Of course, different parts of the country have different customs.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76

Postby rbthomp76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:37 pm

My statement was one against using route in place of highway in states where they are officially know as highways. I realize that some states use routes and some use highways. I think that Waze should use the naming that is consistent with the state's approach and not a overall national approach.

And yes, there should be a differentiation between state and US highways.

rbthomp76

Postby rbthomp76 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:07 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:So what would "consistent with the state's approach" mean in TN where State Routes are defined under the State Highway code of law, the DOT puts up signs that say "SR-xx" for detours, and lay people seem to generally use "Highway xx" with no distinction for US vs. state? ;) :lol:

Not sure what to tell you there. Agreement among the area AMs I guess... (Might be easier to change local's minds :lol: )

For MS, our MDOT has a state highway map that specifically defines them as highways. Guess we are lucky in that regard.

Our locals refer to everything as highway as well, typically with a direction attachment that only makes sense to locals. (I.e. Highway 13S ... And I'm not talking about southbound lane either)

rbthomp76

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion