State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: State Route and US Route Naming in the USA

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 am

Anyone have the scoop from Waze on Shields yet?

I've been doing some fixes around St. Robert MO area. Check this out...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lon=-92.18755&lat=37.82418&layers=BFTFFTTTFTTTTTTTTTTTTFT&segments=28432621
This area has since been updated, but "SR-17" + Minor Hwy type = this in the client

srname.PNG
srname.PNG (110.78 KiB) Viewed 712 times

The name "I-44 Loop" + Major Hwy type produced the shield icon in the client:

iname.PNG
iname.PNG (125.24 KiB) Viewed 711 times

The actual Interstate is set to freeway and named "I-44 E" and "I-44 W" but does not produce the shield icon.

So the "Loop" / "Business" / "Spur" 's are producing the Shields in the client (I assume cause they are set to Major Hwy), but if you set segments to Freeway you don't get them ?

Right now, it appears to me that if you want the shield icon, you have to have the name + type set specifically before they display.

Has anyone else duplicated these results?
rottielover

Postby rottielover » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

txemt wrote:There is no rhyme....or reason.

It sure seems that way. But it's computer code, and there's got to be a work-around. If we can discover it, we can temporarily "game the system" into showing the icons when and where we want.

I'll do some experimentation and see what I can find out. In the mean time if anyone reading this has the "magic line" to the dev's at Waze... Pretty please let us know some info. Be it a work around, or a snipped of the code logic for when to display the shields, etc. Maybe something can be done.
rottielover

Postby sbelekevich » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Or we can just leave it alone and concentrate on more important things than shielding. The key is to get everything to follow the Wiki standards so that when they do fix things on their end, everything will start working at once.
Kind of a side step on this topic, but I have noticed lots of ramps/exits to Interstates that use the old shield generation standard with the space (which I don't get since ramps don't show names or shields).
More often than not, TTS will say "eyeto [number]" instead of just "eye [number]" in its list of instructions. It seems, from what I've seen, that it only affects ramp instructions and not instructions at interstate splits. So while everyone is messing with interstate naming, you should probably keep an eye out for that and remove the space.
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources
sbelekevich

Postby sbelekevich » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:33 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I believe there are a couple of threads here that discuss removing the extra space. Are you just making a general comment
I thought I looked through the forums about that. Yes, just a comment - I just know that I had seen it at some pretty major interchanges and thought it was odd that they wouldn't have been fixed.

jasonh300 wrote:The space came from the basemap. It was on all interstates, all ramps with a "to" interstate name, and any other road that referenced an interstate (I- 10 Service Road).

Part of general cleanup should be to remove this space anywhere it shows up
Thanks for the background info, and +1 on the general cleanup
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources
sbelekevich

Postby scruffy151 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with this proposal for the standard naming of highways when a different local standard is not in effect.
scruffy151

Postby scruffy151 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:17 pm

I find that "hwy-xx" looks very unprofessional in the client.

TTS reads "SH-xx" as "state highway-xx" so there is some logic in using that.

In spite of that I have settled on "SR-xx" even though in my area we call everything "highway-xx" inculding interstates. Because it seems to be the most professional and understandable format. I don't like any of the longer formats since for a numbered road shorter is better.
scruffy151

Postby Teddlet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 pm

Howdy,

I'm glad I found this thread as I've been wondering why our State Highways up in Northern California are mostly labled SR XX (oddly by Kentsmith9 ;) ) So now I understand the desire to have the TTS sound good & the map look clean. My question is about signage up here in the sticks that calls the roads out as "Highway" or "Hwy"? Many of our grade crossings have little signs that say "hwy 99" or "Highway 70" lots are off private roads but many are when you come up a County or Forest Service road to a "T" intersection it says "Highway 70" at the top, then points a way and gives the town and distance. I've pretty much grown up in "Highway Country" and the term State Route is something from movies, but I guess if the consensus is that people can do the math in their head I'm good with SR.
Thanks & Have a good one!

Ted Fox

Area Manager - Paradise/Chico, California
Teddlet

Postby txemt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

txemt wrote:
andrewfatcat wrote:
txemt wrote:Take a look at these 4 permalinks:

I-37 S in San Antonio and click on the northbound lane, too.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... s=62063460

I-45 in Houston
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... s=47488912

I-45 in Madisonville, Tx
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... s=67774082

I-45 in Centerville, Tx
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... s=67774297

If you look at all four of road segments, they're all named differently, with 37 and 45 (Houston) being named the same. 37 and 35 both show shields in San Antonio, but 35 stops showing shields at 1604. After that it's spotty. I haven't seen a shield on 10 or 410 at all. This bug HAS to be a code bug somewhere.

This was a private conversation I was having with another manager about the shields around Texas. I can confirm shields are displayed for the first permalink and the two on I-45 outside of Houston. In te editor, I-37 S shows the shield in the name, but not I-37 N. Same with I-35 through San Antonio, but when 35 get to the outside loop of San Antonio, the shield disappears all together, both in the client and in the editor.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

banished wrote:Does adding an alternate name, such as in the old I- xx format, have any impact?

I don't know the answer, either, but perhaps worth investigating.

Yes, in this permalink, the only minor highway shows a shield in the client:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:15 am

bigbear3764 wrote:
rottielover wrote:
The actual Interstate is set to freeway and named "I-44 E" and "I-44 W" but does not produce the shield icon.

From what I understand, putting the cardinal directions in I-44 E, it wont produce a shield. They were trying to get Waze to accept the cardinals for shields, but nothing yet.

Not true. Look at the 4 permalinks I provided a few posts ago. I showed 4 different sections of interstates around Texas and all four are labeled differently. Some produce shields and some don't. I can attest that "I-37 S" in San Antonio produces a shield, but "I-37 N" does not.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion