Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by txemt
There is no rhyme....or reason.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by WeeeZer14
I too am okay with it as a default.

But I would love to see some intelligence in the client to know that SR-2 is in the state of MA, so therefore render the name as "Route 2" and make TTS say "Route 2".
harling wrote:Isn't it enough that you call rotaries "roundabouts"? ;-)
I grew up in NYC and NJ only knowing them as "traffic circles". Usually prefixed with something like "crazy" or "damn" or "dangerous" :lol:
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
I agree we need more direction from Waze before making any decisions, but here are a few more things to think about. I've been chatting with a couple of TN editors over the weekend and here a few take aways...

* Where State Hwy is common, there is resistance to SR since "state route" is either a foreign concept of makes them think of smaller less important roads.

* Maybe use "SR-xx" in "route" states and use "Hwy-xx" in "highway" states?

* Any thoughts on what to do with Primary vs. Secondary routes? For part of PA they are using "PA-xx" for primary and "SR-xxxx" for the secondaries. In TN there are primary and secondary and less of a distinction between them. And the same numbered route may change between primary and secondary along its path.

* I perviously mentioned using "SR-xx" and doing a translation/lookup based on the state the segment is in. But I later had the thought that near borders you will have ramps leading to highways in other states. So we can't rely on the state field of the segment to give us the proper translation.

So all that above brings to my mind three possible paths:
1.) Ignore primary and secondary distinctions, use SR-xx or Hwy-xx as appropriate. Near borders, if the state of a ramp segment is different from the state of the route, prefix with state (e.g. "to NY SR-17" or "to TN Hwy-840") if we want to be clear.
2.) Account for primary and secondary, use two letter state for primary and use SR-xx or Hwy-xx as appropriate for secondary routes. Ramps to secondary routes near borders, prefix with state if we want to be clear.
3.) At worst, support "SR-xx", "Hwy-xx", "Rte-xx", and "<2 char state>-xx" and let everyone do whatever and call it a day :)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)

Post by WeeeZer14
AndyPoms wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:* I perviously mentioned using "SR-xx" and doing a translation/lookup based on the state the segment is in. But I later had the thought that near borders you will have ramps leading to highways in other states. So we can't rely on the state field of the segment to give us the proper translation.
That's why I suggest using "CT-##" or "MA-##" and the "CT-" or "MA-" triggers the translation, NOT the state field... That way the ramp that is in CT that leads to MA-## will trigger the MA- lookup...
I was just adding yet another reason to the list you already posted :)
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
rbthomp76 wrote:My statement was one against using route in place of highway in states where they are officially know as highways. I realize that some states use routes and some use highways. I think that Waze should use the naming that is consistent with the state's approach and not a overall national approach.
So what would "consistent with the state's approach" mean in TN where State Routes are defined under the State Highway code of law, the DOT puts up signs that say "SR-xx" for detours, and lay people seem to generally use "Highway xx" with no distinction for US vs. state? ;) :lol:
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
jasonh300 wrote:
harling wrote:I've been saying it since the topic first came up, and I'll keep saying it: use the standard two-letter state code for state routes/highways rather than a generic "SR-", and translate it for the speech processor according to local custom. For example, MA-nn would be "Route nn", which would make sense to the locals both visually and audibly. ["SR-"anything is almost as foreign as calling rotaries "roundabouts". ;-)]
I see your point. That would be easier than having to do

Code: Select all

IF road=SR-## AND state=Alabama THEN say State Highway ## 
for every state.
And it avoids the issue of a ramp to an Alabama highway which exists in Mississippi that both Andy and I have mentioned elsewhere. ;)
jasonh300 wrote:A route was something that trucks and buses, or the paper boy followed.
I grew up using the two pronunciations for route for different things -- the road was a 'rüt and the bus and paper boy had a 'raut. And in my day job as a network engineer, I deal with 'rauts between devices :D
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Is there anywhere that using the two letter state code would either confuse people because they don't think that way or confuse people because the abbreviation looks like it is something else? (Like if a state was abbreviated as "US" that would be a problem ;) ) Would Colorado be confused with County roads?
WeeeZer14
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
Just FYI, in my neck of the woods I went from "I- 40" (with and without the direction suffix) to "I-40 E" and "I-40 W" many, many months ago. We had shields before, but now we don't. I've gone so far as to tweak geometry of most segments to "nudge" things with no results. And segments have been edited multiple times anyway to get rid of things like RevCon. So whatever automatic methods should be in place, I have never seen work personally.
WeeeZer14
Send a message