Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Junction style guide: ramp restriction inconsistency

Post by
We've been discussing the need for straight-through prohibition for off-to-on ramps at intersections over here.

The junction style guide page mentions that there is a ramp transition penalty.

The limited access interchange style guide page says that there is a need to put a straight-through prohibition on to "prevent the routing server from trying to route someone off the freeway just to get back on it".

Is there really ever a case that the routing goes off and back on without something else causing it (slow average speed on the freeway vs. ramp, client "prefer shorter distance over time", hidden/latent restrictions, etc.)? If there's a penalty, then (all other things considered), why would it ever route straight through?

At the very least, there needs to be some consistency between these two pages.

POSTER_ID:4255912

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
For reference, two or three weekends ago I received a route which included taking the off-ramp-to-on-ramp route on a standard diamond interchange in an area I thought I had restricted long ago. Maybe I did, maybe not. I was the last editor, but since turn restriction changes don't update the segment last updated data, there's no way to know. All involved segments of freeway, ramps, and overpass were all the same city name. The wiki guide is still correct and the reasons why we do this are still valid.

With more Wazers and more accurate traffic data, Waze is likely getting "better" at not doing this routing, but the fact remains that the code still allows it, even with no traffic impact, and that only makes it more likely to be routed like this when traffic on the freeway is backed up. This ramp-to-ramp route is illegal in many states, just like using parking lots to bypass traffic on a surface street.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
bz2012 wrote:My e-mail to support on this subject has never been answered.
Check your ISP's spam filters... you are looking for "Waze Support" <inbox@my.nanorep.com>...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Bigbear3764
On the client, no instruction. In live map with routing script, it lists all the continues in the right side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
In cases where it is legal to go straight, wouldn't this cause Problem Reports whenever someone does go straight? While seemingly pointless to do so, I have no doubt it happens.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Kuhlkatz wrote:Even with no other signage explicitly prohibiting a straight through drive, my guess would be that this is illegal in most places.
At the intersection that started the discussion, the signage in place explicitly lists that you can go straight.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
Just an FYI for anyone following along. Discussion of routing off and back on via ramps has also popped up over here, referring to this interchange. For the record, the path via ramps is 1082 meters, via the freeway is 1100 meters.
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by BlazeTool
skbun wrote:By the way...are we all in agreement that the correct name for interstates now is "I-XXX", with no space, and we should make a project of seek and destroy wherever found?
Has the problem with shields only being displayed if the space is included been fixed?
BlazeTool
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Whether or not it is legal, I see a LOT of driver complaints about bad driving instructions and bad junctions when they get routed off the highway and then back on.
Especially when they followed the instructions, but even when they didn't.

I have tried adding a bunch of nodes along the ramps to 'try and stop the off/on routing' in some places in the middle of no where. In the case I am thinking of, I could NOT forbid the traffic because there was also an access road that went through the same intersections.

In any case, the added nodes did NOT stop the driver complaints. GPS tracks and routes still showed WAZE trying to route them off/on.

My e-mail to support on this subject has never been answered.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
MysticCobra wrote: Can someone describe the scenario where someone is routed off-on? Is it just for traffic jams?
As I said earlier, I have seen URs posted in the middle of no where, in places that there would never be traffic jams.

Here is one where there were several URs complaining about being routed off/on.
intersection with nodes added to prevent 'off/on' routing.
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=2&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

I tried adding a bunch of nodes along the ramps.
I don't think it helped, but I don't see any URs there right now.

EDIT: I don't know what happened to the link. I thought I had put it there but just saw no link so put it now.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by CBenson
I don't see the conflict. My understanding is that conditions like the slow speed on the freeway is what causes off/on routing over ramps. Many consider this to be bad routing even if faster, thus the straight-through prohibition.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902