Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Update Request Common Issues

Post by
I am wanting to add to the wiki for the 'Update Requests in Waze Map Editor' page to cover some common issues that aren't covered in the existing page. But unfortunately, I am unable to come up with any answers on those issues. So I am asking, what are the solutions to these common issues:

;Client Issues (GPS errors, Performance, etc..)
:TBD
;Wrong Location of Destinations
;Wrong Driving Direction without a User Route

Basically, when should we mark as 'solved' vs. 'not identified'. Are there any other actions an editor needs to take with these issues. I am also sure there are other common issues not covered by this list, so it may need to be expanded.

POSTER_ID:5022425

Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Some of that is already covered in the FAQ.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
troyv wrote:I am still confused as when to mark things as solved vs. not identified. I have occasionally heard that you almost never want to mark things as "not identified" since some gestapo may suddenly appear on your door if you do that too much (slightly exaggerating :) ).
Ahhh... IGN... There are two types of pins in WME - URs & MPs. URs are user submitted and have the smile face on them. MPs are system detected issues and are just the pin.

MPs should not be marked "Not Identified" (so IGN doesn't show up and build a parking lot). Marking URs "Not Identified" is fine.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
xteejx wrote:...although I would suggest that if you're not sure, to leave it and ask your local AM or a CM.
That is exactly what I tell new editors in CT - if they are not sure PM me or just leave it and I'll get to it in ~24 hours or less.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by AndyPoms
What about "Map Issue"? That is what the button in the client is labeled.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
USA Country Manager

Post by ArlenBystander
The thing to remember when looking at MPs is that it's just Waze indicating there might be a problem but isn't necessarily something that needs to be changed. "Missing road" MPs that go through a small parking lot, "most users didn't follow the suggested route", or "roads too far apart" at a properly configured intersection most likely don't need more than verifying there are no problems and marking the MP solved (as long as you're sure it's right).

As Andy said, do not mark MPs as not identified. That just rattles the IGN cage which can cause more harm than good. If in doubt, leave it for someone else to look at, contact another editor, or post a question in the forums.

As far as URs go, I see no problem marking them unidentified if there is insufficient information whether that be lack of suggested/driven route traces or lack of user input. The "not identified" button will send an email to the reporting user saying more information is needed and point them to the forums.

Also, something to keep an eye out for UR pins that are sort of MPs. You'll see "waze automatic" (or similar) in the description. I seem to recall (haven't seen one lately) that these get generated when Waze thinks the city/state/country assigned to the segment is incorrect but there may be other cases.
ArlenBystander
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Currently there is nothing that CAN be done with those problems, which is probably why the omission in the wiki.
Until we have 2 way communication with reporters all that can be done is mark them as Not Identified and hope that they come onto the forums.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
...although I would suggest that if you're not sure, to leave it and ask your local AM or a CM.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
UR stands for Update Request. Make sure that's in there too.

Via my iPhone 3GS.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jemay
So if I search for MP or UR I get nothing. :)
No page title matches
There is no page titled "MP".
No page title matches
There is no page titled "Map problem".
No page title matches
There is no page titled "User Reported Problem".
Showing below up to 20 results starting with #1.
These are a few that I thought of :)
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by jemay
No page title matches
There is no page titled "terms".
Term = Glossary?
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon