Road Naming (USA)

Moderator: Unholy

Road Naming (USA)

Postby skbun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 pm

http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA) is ridiculously out of date knowing what we know now about US shield generation, and what has been agreed upon at this and previous meetups about naming conventions. Suggestions:

* All references to names being tied to shields be removed, and in fact, that we be clear about the following: We know now from Waze itself that US shields come from a magic hidden property on a segment we are currently unable to edit. They are working on a worldwide standard for producing and editing shields; it just so happens that the US got some 'early' because of a basemap import. Where they work, great; where they don't, we can't fix it until they add functionality to the editor.

That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.

US Highways were agreed in the 2012 meetup to be formatted as US-XX. The wiki was never actually changed to reflect this.

Interstates are I-XX (no space).

State routes should be SR-XX for brevity and consistency, except in states where it is specifically done otherwise (the LA case for example).

County roads should be CR-XX, again, for brevity and consistency, and as the only TTS abbreviation in the system at this time.

This gives us a baseline, a simple standard, and we can slowly spread out with exceptions, from there.

Reasonable?
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed page link
[ img ]

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby CBenson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:41 pm

I'd first be interested in knowing what new was learned at the US meetup.

The hidden property should really be explained before we go changing the standards.

skbun wrote:That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.

This is not true. For example, if you take a road that has a shield and edit the name (say give it an all text primary name), the shield will disappear. So I'm not sure what you are saying here.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kentsmith9 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:00 pm

skbun, at the 2013 meetup we did discuss this and we did make two conclusions. 1) We know shields are still working in some areas and not in others. Waze is unsure why this is happening, but would look into it. 2) Waze was going to work on an interim step on shield generation to give us the ability to link the shield to the primary name at a minimum. They might be able to link it to secondary name, but they have a bigger project for the final solution.

So to say
skbun wrote:That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.

was not my understanding.

That being said we have other thread discussing the renaming to the shortened names including the ones you have listed below. I am a big supporter of that shortened naming, but we all agreed to not make any major changes until we heard from Waze on the shield generation.

I propose we hold a few more weeks to let Waze respond and then we take action on what change we propose.

(Full Disclosure: this morning before you posted this I made an edit to the above wiki page to remove a note that we do not name US Highways as "US-xx" because that is untrue in much of the country.)
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skbun » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:26 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:skbun, at the 2013 meetup we did discuss this and we did make two conclusions. 1) We know shields are still working in some areas and not in others. Waze is unsure why this is happening, but would look into it. 2) Waze was going to work on an interim step on shield generation to give us the ability to link the shield to the primary name at a minimum. They might be able to link it to secondary name, but they have a bigger project for the final solution.

That being said we have other thread discussing the renaming to the shortened names including the ones you have listed below. I am a big supporter of that shortened naming, but we all agreed to not make any major changes until we heard from Waze on the shield generation.

(Full Disclosure: this morning before you posted this I made an edit to the above wiki page to remove a note that we do not name US Highways as "US-xx" because that is untrue in much of the country.)

Likely right on all counts here. Basically I wanted to get this discussion going now that we're back home, but it was pointed out that there's another thread about this that I probably missed. If it belongs there, this could be pointed in that direction instead? I'm not suggesting an immediate change to the Wiki (or heck, I would have just edited it, right?), but to get us started in that direction.

I'm going to look into the specifics of shields over the next few days to see what I can learn, myself.
[ img ]

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 am

I created a Shield Generation Error Examples thread for us to post examples of shield generation errors that also show shields generated on adjacent segments with identical settings.

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby milkyway35 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:06 pm

I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

Could you please add something to explain that highways can go thru a Town ?

Here, the streets definition : Usually for local travel within a town.

Most users think that all Roads inside a town must be set as Primary street even If the road is a Highway. That lead to a non-continuity of the Highway network.
France Community Coordinator / Country Manager
Waze Community Communications Guidelines
As ChiefWazer said :
Code: Select all
"We all work together for a common goal here, we all want Waze to succeed in helping peoples everyday life"
milkyway35
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:57 pm

milkyway35 wrote:I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

Most users think that all Roads inside a town must be set as Primary street even If the road is a Highway. That lead to a non-continuity of the Highway network.

I think this is a good idea. I will take a look at adding something.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri May 03, 2013 4:11 am

milkyway35 wrote:I know it is a US page, but lot of user find this page first.

I presume you are actually referring to Road Types (USA).

When I read the current content on that page for Minor Highway, I believe it already addresses your concern. If you don't think so please provide some propose change you think would improve the text to address your concern.
Wiki - Minor Highway wrote:While still a labeled route that can be followed to get from one city/town/neighborhood to another, routing of thru traffic is not always a priority in the street design. Some minor highways are built with a higher priority on through traffic, while other minor highways are nothing more than a label dropped onto existing residential streets.

Minor Highways vary widely from large multi-lane roads with stoplights and higher speed limits, to small residential streets with stops signs.

Some minor highways may zigzag thru an area with many turns on local streets.

A Minor Highway thru the main street of a small town often retains focus on local access with pedestrian traffic and on street parking.

As a good note, remember that in major construction zones for Highways under construction, often Waze will try to route you through the construction, as if its the only route, since it prefers highways.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm

There is another thread discussing concurrent road names. We have decided to update this Wiki section to reflect the result of that discussion. I have asked that thread to move the conversation on the Wiki changes here.

Here is the new section on Road Naming with concurrent names.

Part of this content was in the Interstate section, so I moved that to this section since it also applies to highways and other numbered routes (not just interstates).

If anyone believes the content should be somewhat different please report back here so we can discuss.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 pm

To support the Road Naming (USA) page I created a new page as a complete table of all states in the US. Each state row identifies the 3 different road type names that are currently different by state. I started the table with the data currently in the road naming page, but if anyone sees that a particular state is using a different naming convention please let me know.

I wikilinked each state name with the home wiki page for that state. If there was no home page I created a redirect from that page to the most relevant page for the state (typically the To Do list page). If anything thinks there is a better page to link for a particular state let me know.

I noticed on the New Jersey to do page the road naming convention listed the short form being adopted by more and more states recently. I am using that information as the basis for this table (and not the lack of that information on the road naming page) saying NJ is using the short form.

According to the Missouri to do page the short form naming convention is being considered so I updated the table for that.

According to the Oregon to do list, State Routes are ORxxx (without a dash). However looking across the state I am still seeing a lot of "State Hwy" names on roads, so I will let Alan comment on what should be in the table for now.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion