Road Naming (USA)

Post by
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA) is ridiculously out of date knowing what we know now about US shield generation, and what has been agreed upon at this and previous meetups about naming conventions. Suggestions:

* All references to names being tied to shields be removed, and in fact, that we be clear about the following: We know now from Waze itself that US shields come from a magic hidden property on a segment we are currently unable to edit. They are working on a worldwide standard for producing and editing shields; it just so happens that the US got some 'early' because of a basemap import. Where they work, great; where they don't, we can't fix it until they add functionality to the editor.

That said...we can name roads whatever we like because it has nothing to do with shields, and changing a street or altstreet name will not change a segment's ID or other properties on that segment.

US Highways were agreed in the 2012 meetup to be formatted as US-XX. The wiki was never actually changed to reflect this.

Interstates are I-XX (no space).

State routes should be SR-XX for brevity and consistency, except in states where it is specifically done otherwise (the LA case for example).

County roads should be CR-XX, again, for brevity and consistency, and as the only TTS abbreviation in the system at this time.

This gives us a baseline, a simple standard, and we can slowly spread out with exceptions, from there.

Reasonable?

POSTER_ID:7245685

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed page link

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:According to the Oregon to do list, State Routes are ORxxx (without a dash). However looking across the state I am still seeing a lot of "State Hwy" names on roads, so I will let Alan comment on what should be in the table for now.
ODOT naming convention is ORxxx. However, as I've noted before, Oregonians refer to all US/state routes as "highway xxx." I'm unsure if we change to "SR-xxx" or "ORxxx" whether that will cause any confusion or not. Of course, with shields being on the map, I could put "ORxxx" or "SR-xxx" to align with other states' conventions, but use "Highway xxx" in the primary name field for TTS.

Lots of options, not sure how to do it quite yet.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:Also, whoever has any clout with management should ask them when they're going to make "State Rte" and "SR" and all the other variations on this list auto-generate shields like "State Hwy" already does.
Dave!

Shields will not rely on any naming convention. They will be directly specified in the editor, selecting a shield type and display characters. Primary street name will be used for tts. App will not, in the foreseeable future, display multiple shields or shield+name.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The purple road names need to not use the shield data, IMO. If you haven't seen this, check it out.

Right now, the purple label that just reads "219" for "State Hwy 219", "30" for US-30 and "5" for I-5 look ridiculous to me. I believe the purple markers should be based on the primary segment name, not the shield.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:Where do you see just numbers?
I've posted about it before, probably in a client feedback thread. From what I see, it's anywhere a shield exists.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
First mention of shield-based label I think: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 41#p354941

Continuing discussion: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 02#p355402

There's a few more posts with screenshots in that thread regarding the shield/purple label "linkage."
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)
If they display just the shield, does the "MA-##" matter?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
harling wrote:As long as it displays the shield in the nav list and on the client screen, and pronounces it simply "route ##", it doesn't matter. That's one of the features I am waiting for, before changing anything. But if something goes wrong and shield support is delayed, "MA-##" is Plan B.
Based on my understanding of what's to come, shield and primary name are de-coupled. Shield comes from the dedicated field, and TTS announces what's in the name field, where you would put "Route ##" and that's exactly how it'd be pronounced.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Oregon has a pretty high concentration of shields displaying for US and state routes, so I'm going to hold off renaming any until I get shield control in the editor.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
Short answers for a VERY long post...

Entrance ramp formatting
The colon ":" is only used after exit numbers as in "Exit ##: US-1 / Anytown / Othertown".

State routes
Not all states have converted. Many are waiting for an official solution (i.e. State Abbreviations).

Exit naming guidance / insight
Match the BGS (Big Green Sign) for the direction you are traveling when you take the ramp.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
skbun wrote:The easy way to put this into the wiki is 'What the sign says is what you list'. This way it's a simple matter of comparing what's on the road to what's in Waze. I mean, heck, exit 18 on I-405 in Kirkland has a BGS that refers to a state route that hasn't existed since 2010 (SR-908) - and it's only on a sign in the southbound direction, but the sign still has it on there. So, it goes on.
Yea, but think of me driving on that road... I don't know SR-908 hasn't existed since 2010, all I know is that's what the sign says, so that's the exit I need to take...
skbun wrote:I would though want to put one advisory, exception, etc. to what I just said though, which is that a BGS's content is the stuff in the biggest letters. There are sometimes OTHER things listed on such signs but should NOT be included. Examples I've seen: 'Hospital', 'Toll bridge', 'Scenic road', and so on. In almost all cases, these additions are not in white-on-green letters. That said, they're just extras that make TTS chattier than it needs to be.
This makes sense to me... However there are places where the only sign isn't the green one... For example in CT Exit 62 on I-95 only has brown signs - https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hammonas ... 2,,0,-3.19
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ