Road Naming (USA)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:47 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:Two-plus weeks of no objections to the proposals to change Michigan's state highways to M-XXX and Kansas's to K-XXX. When do we make it official?

I think it is probably good enough. Page updated.

I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)
[ img ]
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:44 am

harling wrote:I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)

If they display just the shield, does the "MA-##" matter?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby sketch » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:44 am

orbitc wrote:Anybody have any objection for us to change them to US-XX? (similar to NY style) Thanks.

US-xx has been the countrywide standard for a year and a half. Any contrary information was due to either misinterpretation or ignorance of the naming standards somewhere along the line. So yes, you may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orbitc » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:47 am

sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:Anybody have any objection for us to change them to US-XX? (similar to NY style) Thanks.

US-xx has been the countrywide standard for a year and a half. Any contrary information was due to either misinterpretation or ignorance of the naming standards somewhere along the line. So yes, you may.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thank you. I think the hold up for us (NJ) is due to the shields.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider
[ img ]

USA | MapRaid!
orbitc
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
harling wrote:I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)

If they display just the shield, does the "MA-##" matter?

As long as it displays the shield in the nav list and on the client screen, and pronounces it simply "route ##", it doesn't matter. That's one of the features I am waiting for, before changing anything. But if something goes wrong and shield support is delayed, "MA-##" is Plan B.
[ img ]
harling

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:04 am

harling wrote:As long as it displays the shield in the nav list and on the client screen, and pronounces it simply "route ##", it doesn't matter. That's one of the features I am waiting for, before changing anything. But if something goes wrong and shield support is delayed, "MA-##" is Plan B.

Based on my understanding of what's to come, shield and primary name are de-coupled. Shield comes from the dedicated field, and TTS announces what's in the name field, where you would put "Route ##" and that's exactly how it'd be pronounced.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 am

That's my understanding too. I'll keep referring to the shields solution in the hypothetical until it is actually released into the production WME, though. ;)
[ img ]
harling

Postby mapcat » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:19 pm

sketch wrote:

Once you get going on this, please be as complete and thorough as possible. Maps with a bunch of "US Hwy 1"'s randomly scattered among the "US-1"'s look amateurish.

Has anyone investigated getting a mass change done directly to the db, swapping out "US Hwy " for "US-" wherever it still appears?
CM, USA/Canada ∙ iPhone 5 ∙ iOS 7.1
mapcat

Postby skbun » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:29 pm

mapcat wrote:
sketch wrote:

Once you get going on this, please be as complete and thorough as possible. Maps with a bunch of "US Hwy 1"'s randomly scattered among the "US-1"'s look amateurish.

Has anyone investigated getting a mass change done directly to the db, swapping out "US Hwy " for "US-" wherever it still appears?

The biggest problem is, among other things, that's not the only thing that appeared on on the map at all. I've been cleaning up US-2 in Washington, and I've found 'US 2', 'Hwy 2', 'US Hwy 2', and 'Stevens Pass Highway' (without any indication of it being US-2 in the alt), many of which had basemap dates.

It's just a mess, and these new naming standards is honestly a reason to get in there and fix it right, at last. Hey, if we want to get together the champs, CMs, and wide area managers and say 'This weekend is 'Fix the US Highway naming weekend', I would be all about that. We set up a wiki page as a checklist, and we get it done.

Roads that are primary streets and above can be mass selected and edited as high up as 500m, and it actually goes faster than people think.
[ img ]

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

Postby skbun » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:36 pm

As a followup to myself, I guess what I'm saying here is that collectively, we all have done more discussing about this than it actually would have taken for us to all go out, buy a two-liter of Mountain Dew, and end this, doing it _right_, by mass selecting segments, making sure we get a continuous select (meaning the road is named the same all the way), and not only change names of highways, but do it right in making sure the road isn't broken, that there's good consistency extra junctions suppressed, etc. We the CMs are really the only ones who CAN, because we have the experience, and the wide editing ability.
[ img ]

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA
skbun

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion