Road Naming (USA)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby skbun » Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Based on everything I've seen in the thread, I've modified the wiki to say that 'State routes' are 'NC-XXX', and 'County roads' is 'N/A - not applicable'. If we find an example of a "genuine" county road at some point, we can address that then, but it doesn't seem to be forthcoming.
skbun

Postby CBenson » Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't know about county roads in North Carolina, but up north here if you say NC-12 many people are going to think: http://www.zazzle.com/nc_12_stickers-217806308537346977
You see many OBX stickers on cars here and you also see a few North Carolina 12 stickers on cars too. There are enough people that vacation or own vacation houses on the Outer Banks that the 12 in the diamond refers to a North Carolina road around here.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:00 pm

HavanaDay wrote:I am unclear what your are asking for are your looking for some sort of sign that says NC-XX on the actual sign. If that is the case I will go hunting for one but what we would normally see is the like here in the wiki link:

NC-Signs.png
(301.64 KiB) Downloaded 1389 times

I see the driver will only see the number on the road, so we are open to any prefix that matches what the locals would know. What I mean is if you are not local to NC, you have no idea what prefix to expect, but for what is on the road sign. Therefore I see no problem with NC-XXX based on this information.

HavanaDay wrote:As stated in a post before this one, roads will have an actual road name attached to them (ie Gibbons Rd instead of SR-XXXX). I believe there are some cases in the mountains and the coast that are actually named State Road XXXX but are not signed with anything.

What I think I am hearing is we probably need to make a note that there are no roads that are numbered for the county roads since they all have displayed signs with names, not numbers. However there may be exceptions. Maybe we can find an image of an exception to review and decide for those remote conditions?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HavanaDay » Fri May 10, 2013 1:50 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:HavanaDay, are there some roadside images you might be able to post to show the local road signs with NC-xx, vs. the more typical SR-xx used in the other states?

I am unclear what your are asking for are your looking for some sort of sign that says NC-XX on the actual sign. If that is the case I will go hunting for one but what we would normally see is the like here in the wiki link:

What about the County Highway format being SR XXX that I believe will translate to "State Route XXX" with TTS? That one does not make sense to me unless you are saying that since the NC DOT manages those roads they are called "State Routes".

As stated in a post before this one roads will have an actual road name attached to them (ie Gibbons Rd instead of SR-XXXX). I believe there are some cases in the mountains and the coast that are actually named State Road XXXX but are not signed with anything.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby skbun » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
vectorspace wrote:With the knowledge expressed in this forum so far, are we going to a state-by-state naming convention?

I believe that is a true statement. The justification for that was because the current method is identified in the Wiki we are proposing a pretty significant change with wide-reaching implications. For that reason, if a particular state's primary editors believe the short convention (or even some alternate convention) is desired, then they can post that proposal and with consensus make the change.

Interesting if true...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_hig ... ted_States

The majority of states have county highways, as they have unincorporated areas that are not part of any municipality. Some states, like Virginia and North Carolina, have no county highways in most of their counties; the state government maintains all roads in unincorporated areas. Others, like Connecticut, have no county routes because there is no government at the county level. Alaska does not have counties; Louisiana's county equivalents are parishes, and, accordingly, have parish routes.

It appears that lacking further evidence, the correct answer for 'North Carolina county roads may be 'N/A'. They don't exist. From what I've been able to glean myself, you see state routes, and you see named roads with street names, but no designation by themselves.
skbun

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:38 am

vectorspace wrote:With the knowledge expressed in this forum so far, are we going to a state-by-state naming convention?

I believe that is a true statement. The justification for that was because the current method is identified in the Wiki we are proposing a pretty significant change with wide-reaching implications. For that reason, if a particular state's primary editors believe the short convention (or even some alternate convention) is desired, then they can post that proposal and with consensus make the change.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vectorspace » Fri May 10, 2013 1:00 am

I'm sorry to enter so late into this discussion -- can only keep up with so much. I was drawn here from another post to a different forum...

It was my understanding from the Meetup 2013 that we had agreed upon US-XXX for US Hwy and SR-XXX for both State Route and State Highway (just as skbun first posted in this thread). This was tied also to the shield generation, but I know that conversation later diverged after the Meetup. There was an issue that some states needed a different standard because of local naming conventions within those states, which makes sense. I prefer US-XXX and SR-XXX because it takes less real estate on the client and is a more common standard from State Hwy XXX, State Route XXX, Hwy XXX, etc.

With the knowledge expressed in this forum so far, are we going to a state-by-state naming convention?
vectorspace

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:09 pm

HavanaDay, are there some roadside images you might be able to post to show the local road signs with NC-xx, vs. the more typical SR-xx used in the other states?

What about the County Highway format being SR XXX that I believe will translate to "State Route XXX" with TTS? That one does not make sense to me unless you are saying that since the NC DOT manages those roads they are called "State Routes".
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HavanaDay » Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I sent a PM to Skapur1 to comment in this thread on an edit made to the Road Naming by State page in the Wiki Saturday. The change was for North Carolina from the current standard to:

State Hwy = NC XXX
County Hwy = SR XXX

Reason given: County roads are maintained by the state DOT in North Carolina.

I believe changing this page of the Wiki requires consensus with the other state editors. Unilateral changes should not be done without some discussion here or a notation that conversations have taken place with the other editors.

He is correct in his assumption about the reason he changed it but I don't think we have ever discussed it publicly. The last discussion I had about Road Naming in North Carolina was with FrisbeeDog privately and we were waiting to see how the shield implementation was going to pan out. I do remember one of our concerns was for the shields going away at the time if we changed it to NC-XX. So we kinda of tabled it for public discussion.

Personally, I like the NC-XX. I did a little experiment with it a while ago and the TTS was pronouncing it correctly (ie NC XX). But we could have gotten lucky with our state abbreviation. I believe others have run into issues with other state abbreviations so haven't pushed the issue.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ncc1701v » Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 pm

If a user should turn onto a road signed as "county hwy 11", the instructions will be to turn on to "state route 11"? Huh? What?
ncc1701v

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion