Road Naming (USA)

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby HavanaDay » Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I sent a PM to Skapur1 to comment in this thread on an edit made to the Road Naming by State page in the Wiki Saturday. The change was for North Carolina from the current standard to:

State Hwy = NC XXX
County Hwy = SR XXX

Reason given: County roads are maintained by the state DOT in North Carolina.

I believe changing this page of the Wiki requires consensus with the other state editors. Unilateral changes should not be done without some discussion here or a notation that conversations have taken place with the other editors.

He is correct in his assumption about the reason he changed it but I don't think we have ever discussed it publicly. The last discussion I had about Road Naming in North Carolina was with FrisbeeDog privately and we were waiting to see how the shield implementation was going to pan out. I do remember one of our concerns was for the shields going away at the time if we changed it to NC-XX. So we kinda of tabled it for public discussion.

Personally, I like the NC-XX. I did a little experiment with it a while ago and the TTS was pronouncing it correctly (ie NC XX). But we could have gotten lucky with our state abbreviation. I believe others have run into issues with other state abbreviations so haven't pushed the issue.
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:08 pm
Has thanked: 216 times
Been thanked: 212 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:11 am

That's my understanding too. I'll keep referring to the shields solution in the hypothetical until it is actually released into the production WME, though. ;)
Image
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Eastern MA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:53 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
harling wrote:I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)

If they display just the shield, does the "MA-##" matter?

As long as it displays the shield in the nav list and on the client screen, and pronounces it simply "route ##", it doesn't matter. That's one of the features I am waiting for, before changing anything. But if something goes wrong and shield support is delayed, "MA-##" is Plan B.
Image
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Eastern MA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby harling » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:47 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:Two-plus weeks of no objections to the proposals to change Michigan's state highways to M-XXX and Kansas's to K-XXX. When do we make it official?

I think it is probably good enough. Page updated.

I'm still holding out for MA state highways to be labeled "MA-##", supported by TTS saying simply "route ##". (Other than the shape of the shield, locals don't make much of a distinction between state and US highways, they're all just "routes".)
Image
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
harling
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: Eastern MA
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby Fredo-p » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:14 am

KB_Steveo wrote:I know this thread is kind of old now, but... I've noticed a number of times you guys mention trying to lessen space used, and trying for brevity when possible and making TTS less wordy, etc. That being said, can we change the wiki so that "Exit to Kindergarten Ct" will not do?

Sorry, I don't have any ramps in my area named that way, so I'm not sure if the "new & improved voice guidance" has changed it, but it drives me nuts when I hear "Exit to Exit to Kindergarten Court" or "Exit right to Exit to Kindergarten Court" instead of just "Exit right to Kindergarten Ct"

(Maybe just keep it for LH exits so you get "Keep left to exit to Kindergarten Ct" if the consensus says to keep it at all?)


This thread is over a year old so I will start a new one to focus on the current app ver.
ImageImageImage
Arizona Wiki | Waze Arizona G+ | @Waze_Arizona
VZ Samsung Galaxy S8+

Image
Fredo-p
Beta tester
Beta tester
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:35 am
Location: AZ, NJ, NY, ND, CA
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby Daknife » Thu May 09, 2013 2:04 am

I know this thought is a bit late to the discussion (and not really relevant to the Wiki discussion unless it were actually implemented) but as to shield generation, with so many roads with shields having well known local names would it not make more sense to pull shields from alternate names. You have the local name given in the TTS and on the map but the system can then pull the shield(s) from the alternate names and toss those in occasionally. Shields take less room than many names and don't need to be shown as often and using this option could let the client even show double shields or swap back and forth for roads that carry multiple shield designations. For interstates that occasionally double up the primary name will generate the shield, but the client will be able to toss in the occasional alternate or double shield as stored in the alternate fields.

For example in Northern Utah I-15 is for a while double shielded with I-84, it is primarily I-15 but every few miles the app could throw in a double shield or just a periodic alternate of the I-84 option. Or US 89 commonly called State Street or Main street as it runs though many of the towns in Utah. Out in the countryside it is marked as US 89 (or will be when we get serious about getting rid of all the US Hwy 89 segments) and shows such shields but in town it almost always becomes State Street or occasionally Main, and for a roughly 5 mile stretch it is I-15, When it has a name it should show the name as primary designation and toss in the occasional shield from the alternate field, Not have the hwy number in primary at all times or have the Name as primary and lose all reference in the client to the actual hwy designation.

Just my thoughts on this topic, since I see it continually being referred to as working just the opposite from how my brain logic says that it should work.
Image
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
Daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
 
Posts: 1683
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: Riverdale, Utah
Has thanked: 455 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby CBenson » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:35 am

sketch wrote:But "to LA-1: Thibodaux / Lockport" and "to I-10 W: Baton Rouge" make a lot more sense to me. This would also require changing the first line (before the list), for the sake of clarity: "to [numbered highway designation] [direction]: [street name] / [street name] / [control city] / [control city]". This clarifies what to do when multiple street names and/or control cities are given.


Up until recently, I never put the "/" between the [ST-##] and the [street name] or between the [street name] and the [control city]. I just didn't see the need for a visual break or an audio pause there to make the instructions clear to me. My logic was that was what the wiki examples seemed to suggest and there is no reason to add extra length or TTS time to the names. However, some users have said that they were confused without the pause and others said they interpreted the wiki to include those slashes, so I've been including them in my current edits.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby CBenson » Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm

sketch wrote:It was based on the premise that the shields will work with US-xx in the future, which is still true.

Well you guys at the meetup can figure out that one, but what I was hearing from the reports is that there are now plans that the shield field will be separate from the primary name field. So I had thought things had changed.
sketch wrote:There is a VERY good reason for changing them — it saves valuable space on the display and in TTS with no real loss.

I'm only suggesting not changing theme on freeways where the shields are working as freeway names are not used in the TTS or the display of the turn instructions and freeway names are not used on the map display where the shields are working. The only place the name shows up is in the reports. The only real loss is the shields on the map.
sketch wrote:Changing "I- xx" to "I-xx" broke shields too, but we didn't hesitate so much to do that, because "I- xx" looks like garbage and is a waste of space.

I hesitate to change those for the same reasons, but there are not many interstate shield left working around here. I find the random listing of the cardinal directions to look pretty crappy on the map too and really wish waze could implement working shields.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby CBenson » Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 am

sketch wrote:
orbitc wrote:So, what is that mean for those states there are not using the US-XX model?
We've been told to hold on on changing anything and wait to hear Waze.

Staff and champs alike came to a consensus. In other words, it's not up to the states and never should have been. Maybe the Wiki wasn't clear enough about this, but that's how it is.

Yes, but it is now proven that decision was based on a lie. The premise was US-xxx would be used to generate the US shield. Why should we break the shields that are working. There is no good reason to change freeways from US Hwy XX to US-XX.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

Re: Road Naming (USA)

Postby CBenson » Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 pm

I don't know about county roads in North Carolina, but up north here if you say NC-12 many people are going to think: http://www.zazzle.com/nc_12_stickers-217806308537346977
You see many OBX stickers on cars here and you also see a few North Carolina 12 stickers on cars too. There are enough people that vacation or own vacation houses on the Outer Banks that the 12 in the diamond refers to a North Carolina road around here.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
 
Posts: 10330
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 1055 times
Been thanked: 2352 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users