Segment Lengths

Moderator: Unholy

Segment Lengths

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:28 am

In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.

I believe we want to note the following and I would appreciate any other ideas:

* Max length allowed by editor from both initial creation and when connecting segments by removing nodes. (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)
* Max recommended length - Explaining pros and cons of longer or shorter lengths on routing, visual traffic indicators, etc.
* Limit on stretching the length of a short road too far in one edit. Also if it is better to stretch it or draw a new road to preserve the traffic data on a segment.
* Min length
* The affect (if any) from connecting nodes (2 segments) on routing penalties, server load (back-end database management), editor complexity, turn restriction errors, etc. Also cover if it is any different for junctions (3+ segments).
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Segment Lengths

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
* Max length allowed by editor (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)

If you're creating a new segment, you can create it from Maine to California, as long as you don't connect it to any roads. If you're moving a segment that's already there, there's a max distance allowed, but I can't remember what it is. I get frustrated when I get the "you've moved the segment beyond the maximum allowed distance" error.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:25 am

So you are saying you can create a segment of any length, but after you save it you can no longer edit it until to reduce the size to some specific length?

I know on a railroad some time ago I was trying to remove the nodes between segments and when two segments added to something in the 10km range I received that error.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:39 am

If you have a segment leading from Seattle, WA to St Louis, MO connected to a segment that goes from St Louis, MO to Miami, FL, you can delete the node (by clicking on it and then clicking on the trash can) and you'll now have a segment from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm

txemt wrote:If you have a segment leading from Seattle, WA to St Louis, MO connected to a segment that goes from St Louis, MO to Miami, FL, you can delete the node (by clicking on it and then clicking on the trash can) and you'll now have a segment from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL.

The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:21 pm

I had some problems editing segments of up to 80 km in length. I seems that they all ended up as ghost segments.
Running mostly north / south I redid & split them down to what would typically fit across the height of the screen at max zoom, which is about 18 to 22 km max.
I'm still worried that this is too long and the same thing might happen.
Just as a test, I removed a node and re-saved today. Still no problem on a 22292m segment.

If I add long stretches now, I hardly go above 10km too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.

That's not a public thread.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.2.0.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

You can play here.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby jemay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

This segment is "Length: 145842 meters"
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=70899599
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

DROID TURBO 2 - Android 6.0 - Verizon - Waze Ver. 4.2.0.1
jemay
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kpouer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:59 pm

I have several segments of 50 to 100km, they did not turn into ghost segments, and waze is able to route on them. But I'm not that their average speed will be correctly calculated by waze as there is very few drivers on those roads, most of the time no network (as it is in Sahara) so I don't know if waze will be able to calculate the average speed, I'm waiting for a new driver on it, the last one was 3 months ago :roll: .
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Country Manager France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion