Segment Lengths

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Segment Lengths

Postby txemt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 am

A wild thought that will require you to do a little leg work:

You could drive the route, and when you run out of service area, remember where it is, and on your way back, maybe drop a UR there. When you get home, or to the editor, create a node. On the segment beyond that node, you could maybe put in the alternate roads section "loss of GPS or cell service."

It's just a thought.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?

:lol: OK, you created it just to play with. I can see that now. Thanks.

I have two "sandboxes" that I use to play in to show people intersections, etc. Lots of room in Texas to do that. :)
txemt

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 am

jasonh300 wrote:I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.

Is that the Causeway or I-55?
txemt

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:32 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

You can play here.
txemt

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:39 am

If you have a segment leading from Seattle, WA to St Louis, MO connected to a segment that goes from St Louis, MO to Miami, FL, you can delete the node (by clicking on it and then clicking on the trash can) and you'll now have a segment from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL.
txemt

Postby txemt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
* Max length allowed by editor (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)

If you're creating a new segment, you can create it from Maine to California, as long as you don't connect it to any roads. If you're moving a segment that's already there, there's a max distance allowed, but I can't remember what it is. I get frustrated when I get the "you've moved the segment beyond the maximum allowed distance" error.
txemt

Postby ncc1701v » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 am

kpouer wrote:One problem with long segments is traffic jam detection.
If a segment is 20km long and there is some traffic jam on 3km, I think it will be hard to detect, and if not detected waze will use the known average speed of the segment and not the current speed due to the traffic, don't you think?

We've been here before :-). The goal is getting to your destination quickly. For a given segment, you cannot get on or off, so what matters is the average speed for the whole thing -- the speeds on different parts of the segment don't make any difference in navigation. Personally I prefer to have clean roads and few junctions.

kpouer wrote:The other problem is to know what happens to the average speeds that waze knows if the segment geometry is changed, the segment splitted ...

It's better to retain existing segments if you can, no?
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:21 pm

I had some problems editing segments of up to 80 km in length. I seems that they all ended up as ghost segments.
Running mostly north / south I redid & split them down to what would typically fit across the height of the screen at max zoom, which is about 18 to 22 km max.
I'm still worried that this is too long and the same thing might happen.
Just as a test, I removed a node and re-saved today. Still no problem on a 22292m segment.

If I add long stretches now, I hardly go above 10km too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby kpouer » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:17 pm

@bgodette, that's good news. During Barcelona meetup we were told that they were able to detect traffic on a sub-segment but not highlight a sub-segment yet. If they can now it's a good evolution, maybe we should ask if it is available on all servers.
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby kpouer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

In fact I don't drive here, I go sometimes in the north, but never in the south, so I'm mapping with the roads that users create or only use satellite photos (of course it's not the best but as I am the only mapper in those countries since 3 years it's better than nothing).
Recently I found a guy who did that trip
amenas.jpg
amenas.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
in 3 days. He created the road but it is mostly like this and I have to join roads
niger.jpg
niger.jpg (230.23 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion