Segment Lengths

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Segment Lengths

Postby bgodette » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 am

kpouer wrote:Maybe, and on very long segments, I don't expect a lot of traffic jam as they are not in urban area usually.
There is still my other problem on traffic data on very long segments if the geometry is changed (and also because I don't know what happens with erratic network connections.
WME's backend takes care of recomputing time-slot transit times for any modified or split segments. This is likely why saves involving node removal can take a while.

Incidentally this is something that Cartouche did NOT do. Changes to segment length did not modify transit time, so if you lengthened you'd make routing think that segment was faster, shorten and it looks slower.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.

That's not a public thread.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 am

jasonh300 wrote:I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.

I have long segments that I can adjust without problem. But when I've tried to create long segments, I've had issues saving.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I find a pro to long segments to be enhanced visibility of traffic due to traffic indication being at (or at least near) the junction where I need to make the decision as to whether to divert to avoid the traffic.

If the freeway segment is cut into smaller segments and I'm about to get on the first segment with no way off of it, I prefer that it be marked as jammed even if the slowness is concentrated at the other end. I really don't care to see where the jam is along a segment I can't exit, as I can only decide to get on it or not. If I'm on the segment, the jam is going to slow me no matter where on the segment it is.

However, I don't encounter many segments over about 7 km on my commute, so this might not really apply to "very long" segments.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:36 pm

kpouer wrote:If a segment is 20km long and there is some traffic jam on 3km, I think it will be hard to detect.

I'm not understanding. If you have a stoppage 1km into a 7km segment, waze can detect that and the segment should turn dark red or black. If the jam doesn't significantly affect the average speed because the segment is so long, then why is the information significant for routing decisions?
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

When I lose 10 min on a 7 km segment that usually takes me 4 min to travel, waze marks the segment as jammed.

Even on a 20km segment with an average speed of 105 kph, a 10 min delay would almost be halving the average speed.
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am

I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:56 pm

Actually, on a long segment, if cars are entering the segment, but not leaving the segment in the time it would normally take at average speed, the average would start to drop and approach 0 until the cars that have entered the segment have moved on to the next segment.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

kpouer wrote:But if the segment is very long it can take one or two hours (when the segment is 100km long), and I'm not sure how waze will do if the next intersection is at a place where there is no network ? It will never get the speed of the segment ?

In the real world, how many segment are 100 km long without any kind of exit or junction or change in city name? What good is traffic jam reporting going to do if you break it up into short segments if the jam is at the very end of that 100 km segment--you'd have to scroll all the way across the map to see it. On those roads that actually are 100 km without a junction, are there really going to be any traffic jams? In a situation like that, even if you could see the jam, would there even be an alternate route? I'm thinking the remote Australian outback or something where a highway sees a dozen cars a day, and there's no other route.

I just don't see this sort of thing coming into play in very many places.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jemay » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

This segment is "Length: 145842 meters"
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat ... s=70899599
Droid RAZR MAXX HD - Verizon - Waze Ver. 3.7.8.0 | CM for US|Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI
PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Map Editor|Best Practices
jemay
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion