Segment Lengths

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Segment Lengths

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:08 am

I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 am

CBenson wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:In a recent thread I was inspired to collect all the info we have on segment lengths and create a template or whole wiki page on it.

That's not a public thread.

:shock: :oops: Thank goodness we don't need the content from the thread to be successful here then. :lol:
USA: Now Idaho; previously California (Northern, SF/SJ)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 am

jasonh300 wrote:I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.

Is that the Causeway or I-55?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:45 am

txemt wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:The question is can you change the road geometry after it gets longer than 10km or so? I think that is where I have had problems. Also I seem to recall I could not delete a node (and save it) if the two combined nodes were longer than a certain distance.
Do you know of any segments currently longer than 10km that I could play with so I don't have to create one?

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... TTTFTTTTFT

You can play here.

txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?

PLEASE READ: Waze Map Editor (Start Here) | Editing Quick-start | Best Practices | Junctions
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:48 am

kentsmith9 wrote:txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?

:lol: OK, you created it just to play with. I can see that now. Thanks.

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby txemt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:txemt, did you know that permalink has a node on both freeway directions with the turn restriction preventing through traffic?

:lol: OK, you created it just to play with. I can see that now. Thanks.

I have two "sandboxes" that I use to play in to show people intersections, etc. Lots of room in Texas to do that. :)
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 am

jasonh300 wrote:I have a segment that is 65000 meters that I've adjusted a number of times with no ill effects. There are no other segments connected to it though.

I have long segments that I can adjust without problem. But when I've tried to create long segments, I've had issues saving.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:* Max length allowed by editor from both initial creation and when connecting segments by removing nodes. (I believe we have seen this in the 10km range; I will do some tests unless someone already has.)

For the first entry I am hearing and seeing currently there does not seem to be a physical limit to the length of a segment. This is true for both initial creation and when linking segments together.

kentsmith9 wrote:* Max recommended length - Explaining pros and cons of longer or shorter lengths on routing, visual traffic indicators, etc.

Now I am more interested in the group's opinion on the pros and cons of long segments vs. short ones and what max length is recommended.

Max Length
I recall threads discussing something between 6km and 10km and a recommended max length. Opinions welcome and I presume there will be a pro/con for your length recommendation.

Pros for long segments
* Simplified editing of road names (less segments to select).
* No danger of incorrect turn restrictions at two segment junctions.

Cons for long segments
* Reduced visibility of traffic due to small impact to long road.

(Note the pros and cons for short segments are the opposite of the above so no need to repeat the opposite form of each one.)

kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 pm

I find a pro to long segments to be enhanced visibility of traffic due to traffic indication being at (or at least near) the junction where I need to make the decision as to whether to divert to avoid the traffic.

If the freeway segment is cut into smaller segments and I'm about to get on the first segment with no way off of it, I prefer that it be marked as jammed even if the slowness is concentrated at the other end. I really don't care to see where the jam is along a segment I can't exit, as I can only decide to get on it or not. If I'm on the segment, the jam is going to slow me no matter where on the segment it is.

However, I don't encounter many segments over about 7 km on my commute, so this might not really apply to "very long" segments.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby kpouer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm

One problem with long segments is traffic jam detection.
If a segment is 20km long and there is some traffic jam on 3km, I think it will be hard to detect, and if not detected waze will use the known average speed of the segment and not the current speed due to the traffic, don't you think?

The other problem is to know what happens to the average speeds that waze knows if the segment geometry is changed, the segment splitted ...
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion