Segment Lengths

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Segment Lengths

Postby txemt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:38 am

A wild thought that will require you to do a little leg work:

You could drive the route, and when you run out of service area, remember where it is, and on your way back, maybe drop a UR there. When you get home, or to the editor, create a node. On the segment beyond that node, you could maybe put in the alternate roads section "loss of GPS or cell service."

It's just a thought.
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt

Postby kpouer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:08 am

In fact I don't drive here, I go sometimes in the north, but never in the south, so I'm mapping with the roads that users create or only use satellite photos (of course it's not the best but as I am the only mapper in those countries since 3 years it's better than nothing).
Recently I found a guy who did that trip
amenas.jpg
(108.21 KiB) Downloaded 1822 times
in 3 days. He created the road but it is mostly like this and I have to join roads
niger.jpg
(230.23 KiB) Downloaded 1821 times
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jondrush » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 pm

1m is the minimum length.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby doctorkb » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:01 pm

jondrush wrote:1m is the minimum length.

Hate to pull up zombie threads, but this one was recently quoted, and felt the need to mention something.

Waze Staff have informed us that segments shorter than 5m actually cause problems for the routing engine.
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 am

Yes, they told us this.

Ideally, WME should emphasize it while editing, shouldn't it?

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby banished » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:30 pm

I asked the maximum segment length question in a face-to-face meeting with Waze in September 2013 and the response was 10km. If there is a need to revisit the question, perhaps we should ask again?

I'll take the action item to do so. It's a particular interest to me -- and the reason I asked them initially -- due to railroad segments which the present wiki says to keep at <=10km (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA#Railroad). The answer for railroad (non-routable) segments may not be the same for routable segments, however, so it's worth asking again.
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm interested, too. We have a bunch of LONG distance highways with nothing to break them up here in Canada... if we need to be cutting them every 10km, that is important to know.
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 pm

banished wrote:I asked the maximum segment length question in a face-to-face meeting with Waze in September 2013 and the response was 10km. If there is a need to revisit the question, perhaps we should ask again?

I'll take the action item to do so. It's a particular interest to me -- and the reason I asked them initially -- due to railroad segments which the present wiki says to keep at <=10km (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/USA#Railroad). The answer for railroad (non-routable) segments may not be the same for routable segments, however, so it's worth asking again.

If it's non-drivable and not connected to the drivable infrastructure, is it going to be a problem? The "Walking Trail" that runs along the Mississippi River Levee is about 100 miles long and hasn't caused any obvious problems. I also know of some railroad segments that are well over 10 km.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby banished » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 am

Segment length follow up: I received an answer from Waze: It's up to 100km. For our purposes that is not effective until we agree to change it in the wiki.

Although I have a good system, it starts to drag if the segment length is over 70km. I don't know if that's my system or the WME, but you may wish to run your own tests in out-of-the way areas so we can arrive at a number that works for everyone.

Segment length was initially a railroad segment discussion. There aren't too many navigable segments that would reach that length (70km), but there may be a few in the Western US/Canada.

I'll open the bidding at 50km.
GC, ARC, Veteran, CISSP, MCP
banished
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:35 am

banished wrote:Segment length follow up: I received an answer from Waze: It's up to 100km. For our purposes that is not effective until we agree to change it in the wiki.

Although I have a good system, it starts to drag if the segment length is over 70km. I don't know if that's my system or the WME, but you may wish to run your own tests in out-of-the way areas so we can arrive at a number that works for everyone.

Segment length was initially a railroad segment discussion. There aren't too many navigable segments that would reach that length (70km), but there may be a few in the Western US/Canada.

I'll open the bidding at 50km.

So refresh my poor memory of the metric system. 100 km is 100,000 meters, right?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion