House numbers page

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: House numbers page

Postby vickimachado » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:As noted just a few posts up, the search does not use internal Waze house numbers yet.

Is the delay to provide time to add to the database? The reason I ask is that I wanted to figure out how the system works with Hawaii's weirdly hyphenated house numbers before I start adding in the numbers in the newer subdivisions.

So I've been testing searches for known addresses with the prefix (Bing delivers search results). Without the prefix, as they're entered into WME, seems to deliver similar, though not exactly the same results. I assumed this meant the local database was working. But maybe not.

My guess would be I can start entering in the new house numbers, minus the prefix/hypen, as the imported ones are formatted.
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Postby vickimachado » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:51 pm

In defense of Larry: The one thread in the house numbers forum on the issue is mine, and it has no responses:

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=655&t=53204

We have no guidance/resolution in the Hawaii forum, either.

Perhaps if there were other relevant threads they got lost in the forum reorganization?

I'm merely GUESSING that house numbers be added minus the prefix and hyphen, because the prefix is a reference to district and the city entry for the segment should take care of that. But it would be nice to get some more definitive guidance before adding in many new ones.
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Postby vickimachado » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:09 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Searching the forum for "hawaii hypen" or "hawaii dash" or "address hyphen" or "address dash" would likely get you all the information you need to know about the situation without having to post the question again...

Sorry, but I've tried all those search terms, and there's just no definitive answer, only random suppositions and theories from people at my level. There's one proposal from a Champ for a live test that would assume Waze is using its own homegrown database (this was posted just after WME updated with the house numbers). But Waze is NOT yet searching its internal data.

So I realize that it's better to avoid posting the same question, but when there are no answers, there's no other option. I am on the verge of just assuming that because the Waze import includes ONLY the suffix, not the prefix or hyphen, that's the way it should be.
Area manager, Hawaii
iPhone4, iOS 6.1.2
vickimachado

Previous

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion