House numbers page

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: House numbers page

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:14 am

txemt wrote:Am I to understand that the house numbers node needs to be placed where the driveway and the street meet up?
bretmcvey wrote:On the wiki page it appears that house numbers are placed directly on top of the house. Is this the standard that should be applied when editing house numbers? Should the node be closer to the end of the driveway or the likely area of the front door?
There are two node for each address. The one with the number goes on the house, the other attaches to the associated street and goes at the end of the driveway.

bretmcvey wrote:For cases where an alley runs behind the house, should it be standard practice to keep the house node slightly closer to the affiliated street?
No, see above. The 2nd node is the navigation point.

bretmcvey wrote: Will rural housing that's offset further than the standard range from the affiliated road need to be forced to better indicate where the house exists?
There is a "force" feature built in for this express purpose, as well as out of sequence numbers, odd/even not being consistent, etc. I'm not sure if all editors will have access to it or if it will only be available to higher level editors.
Image
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:05 am

bretmcvey wrote:So in saying the second node goes on the house, we should as a best practice try to center it on the house, not the front door or edge where the driveway and house meet?

From the Waze staff:
ohad-ron wrote:I know these guidelines do not answer all cases. We still need to figure out the issues of malls, very long driveways (rural areas), houses that are on a different segment than the one with their official address, etc. However, for 85% percent of the cases this should work:

- House marker - the center of the rooftop of the house.
- Segment marker - the place where you would park if you wanted to park closest to the main entrance to the building, driveway, or an entrance to the building parking lot. Basically - if i get an end user to this point and tell him to look to the correct side of the road he should be able to figure out which building it is.

How waze will use this data:

- The route destination will be the segment marker.
- We will show what side of the street the house is on, using the house marker.
- The rooftops are good data to have, and we will probably use them as we improve our POI search, for display in the map, etc.

I can't promise we will make use of everything right away, but this is the most flexible representation of this data.
Image
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 5924
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:34 pm
Location: Hartford, CT
Has thanked: 89 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:44 am

On the wiki page it appears that house numbers are placed directly on top of the house. Is this the standard that should be applied when editing house numbers? Should the node be closer to the end of the driveway or the likely area of the front door?

For cases where an alley runs behind the house, should it be standard practice to keep the house node slightly closer to the affiliated street?

Will rural housing that's offset further than the standard range from the affiliated road need to be forced to better indicate where the house exists?

Looks like it'll be an interesting new aspect to the editor. Thank you for sharing the link!
Country Manager: USA
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

Image
bretmcvey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

So in saying the second node goes on the house, we should as a best practice try to center it on the house, not the front door or edge where the driveway and house meet?
Country Manager: USA
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

Image
bretmcvey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:16 pm

I really like the name "Stop Point" as it's more identifiable than "Segment Marker" which works better as an internal description for engineers.

Given this info from the Waze staff...
ohad-ron wrote:I know these guidelines do not answer all cases. We still need to figure out the issues of malls, very long driveways (rural areas), houses that are on a different segment than the one with their official address, etc. However, for 85% percent of the cases this should work:

- House marker - the center of the rooftop of the house.
- Segment marker - the place where you would park if you wanted to park closest to the main entrance to the building, driveway, or an entrance to the building parking lot. Basically - if i get an end user to this point and tell him to look to the correct side of the road he should be able to figure out which building it is.

How waze will use this data:

- The route destination will be the segment marker.
- We will show what side of the street the house is on, using the house marker.
- The rooftops are good data to have, and we will probably use them as we improve our POI search, for display in the map, etc.

I can't promise we will make use of everything right away, but this is the most flexible representation of this data.

... are there two types of markers, House and Segment, or is just just one marker and the two different approaches to handle where they're placed?

I'd like to see a more prominence given to the breakdown of what to do for a house vs. a building with photo examples of both. This wiki paragraph...
The house number itself should be placed the center of the rooftop of the house. For large buildings such as box stores which have a single address, move this alignment more towards the main pedestrian entrance to the building. For addresses within malls, center the address over the space of the business, just like for a house.

... has vital information for how to properly place the Stop Point that would help ensure consistency.

Additional Considerations
  • For larger box store addresses with more than one primary entryway (assuming entryways are on the same side of the store) place the Stop Point at the front edge of the building but equidistant from both of those entryways.
  • For a buildings with multiple entryways, but on differing sides, place the Stop Point centered atop the building itself.
  • Gas stations... would the Stop Point be best placed at the front door of the gas station, or centered over the canopy for the pumps?
Country Manager: USA
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

Image
bretmcvey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:12 pm

I've already tested out under level 4 status and the force feature worked for setting stop points beyond the standard distance as well as for handling some streets where the house numbering may not follow the conventions of keeping the numbers in numerical order.

I'm curious if the client is yet utilizing the new stop points. I've tried one rural example with a longer private drive. I'd assume that given the stop point's position, using that particular address would route to the primary street affiliated with the address and then up the private road that terminates near the stop point.
Country Manager: USA
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

Image
bretmcvey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby bretmcvey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:25 pm

CBenson wrote:Why not route there and see?

Already tried and it didn't work... which is why I'm still curious if that's a limitation in the routing side of things to take a user onto a private road... or if the client has yet to utilize the newly populated house numbers.
Country Manager: USA
Areas of Focus: Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming and NW Missouri

Image
bretmcvey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:08 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
bretmcvey wrote: Will rural housing that's offset further than the standard range from the affiliated road need to be forced to better indicate where the house exists?
There is a "force" feature built in for this express purpose, as well as out of sequence numbers, odd/even not being consistent, etc. I'm not sure if all editors will have access to it or if it will only be available to higher level editors.

Do we know which editors can use the force feature? It is certainly information that should be added to the wiki.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 6862
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 430 times
Been thanked: 981 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby CBenson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 pm

bretmcvey wrote:I've already tested out under level 4 status and the force feature worked for setting stop points beyond the standard distance as well as for handling some streets where the house numbering may not follow the conventions of keeping the numbers in numerical order.

There seems to be editors that cannot force as noted here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=44646
If so, the wiki should include the information.

bretmcvey wrote:I'm curious if the client is yet utilizing the new stop points. I've tried one rural example with a longer private drive. I'd assume that given the stop point's position, using that particular address would route to the primary street affiliated with the address and then up the private road that terminates near the stop point.

Why not route there and see?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 6862
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 430 times
Been thanked: 981 times

Re: House numbers page

Postby CBenson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:04 am

kentsmith9 wrote:I assumed this would be a straight forward answer. If you get routed . . .

This is the whole problem with house numbers. We don't know how waze will use them for routing. We are primarily guessing based on few statements of intent from waze.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 6862
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 pm
Location: Crownsville, MD, US
Has thanked: 430 times
Been thanked: 981 times

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users