Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by CBenson
Maybe this discussion needs its own thread, but I'm currently looking for examples of Fwy to MH, Fwy to mH, and MH to mH. I had thought these said "keep right" rather than "exit."

EDIT: I think I get a "stay to right" when going from the Major Hwy to the Minor Hwy here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-76.70 ... 0,21993623
MHtomH.png
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 1973 times
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
jasonh300 wrote:From what I've seen, anything off of a highway at a lesser angle will generate "exit" in tts if its to the right side (NA and other countries that drive on the right) rather than a "keep". It doesn't matter if the road coming off of the highway is a Ramp or not.
That's not how it works for me.

Only streets, including primary streets, and ramps cause an exit instruction off a highway at a lesser angle on the right side. This is why we can do highway splits. If "anything" at lesser angle generated an "exit" instruction you would get a "keep left" and an "exit right" at a highway split, which you don't.

Alan amended his theory to say any lower road type will cause an "exit" instruction but that is not correct in my experience either. A minor highway off of a major highway at a lesser angle gives me a "keep right" instruction.

The bottom line is that using ramp type has everything to do with getting an exit instruction. If you use a major highway or minor highway type for the jughandle, I do not get an exit instruction (if the main road is a freeway or highway). If you use a ramp for the jughandle, I do get an exit instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:It looks like "lower type" must be limited to non-Freeway and non-Highway. Streets, ramps, primary street off of a highway/freeway will give an "exit" but other freeway or highway do not?
That's what it looks like to me. This is consistent with the "primary road"/"not a primary road" distinction waze set forth in the How Waze determines turn / keep / exit maneuvers document. "Primary roads" were defined as minor highways, major highways and freeways.
4. if s-in is a primary road and s-out is not a primary road, the instruction is: 'EXIT RIGHT'
This condition covers going from freeway/highway to street/ramp, but not highway to highway.
The default condition is:
6. if none of the above conditions is met, the instruction is: 'KEEP RIGHT'
This seems to be the result if the highway to highway maneuver is not the best continuation (i.e. you get an instruction).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
From what I've seen, anything off of a highway at a lesser angle will generate "exit" in tts if its to the right side (NA and other countries that drive on the right) rather than a "keep". It doesn't matter if the road coming off of the highway is a Ramp or not.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I found and posted an example of a minor to a minor that gives an "exit" a while back. I'll try to find and test it again.

Via my iPhone 4S.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
If the jughandle has a Big Green Sign (BGS) I use a ramp. I also us it for U-turns and long names. Other than that, I always use the parent road type. I don't think the street type is a good idea.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I propose that we close this parallel topic in the Wiki forum http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=48375 , but I think we should then move this thread into that same forum since it is being discussed for the country and will certainly result in Wiki changes.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
{from the locked parallel thread now linking here}
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:I'm happy to have the TTS say "exit" when there's a clear difference in grade. Drivers can understand that. The ambiguous case for me is when a road often goes over/under others, but the junction I'm dealing with is at-grade. I prefer non-ramp there ... but I also prefer consistency.
TTS saying exit has nothing to do with using the ramp type. At least, not for the last 3 years or in the foreseeable future.
This may be wrong, but the Wiki claims otherwise here.
Wiki JSG wrote:* when Ramps and/or Minor Highway and above are involved = Exit Right / Keep Left instruction for right-hand drive countries, Keep Right / Exit Left instruction for left-hand drive countries
So if this is wrong, we should correct the description.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:TTS says "exit" whenever the parent segment is mH, MH or Fwy and the angle of departure is as stated. The road type of the departing segment has no bearing on TTS.
I must not be understanding what you are saying, because that's not how waze has ever worked for me.
mH, MH or Fwy splits don't say "exit" for when the angle of deflections is less than 45 degrees, they "stay to left/right at . . ." on my phone. However, if departing a mH, MH or Fwy segment with a deflection of less than 45 degrees to a PS, S or R, I do get an "exit right" instruction.
I am unsure on this topic because all departures from Freeways in my area are named "Exit xxx: Name" or "Exit to Name" and are likely below 45 degrees, so I am not sure what other conditions would produce.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by ncc1701v
PhantomSoul wrote:Also, I'm not sure it makes sense to use a ramp type, ever, when both ends of the connector meet with primary street types, or if both ends of the connector meet with street types. If we do this, the TTS will give an "exit" instruction, which goes against the "keep right" language that the TTS uses for streets and primary streets. Also, streets and primary streets rarely ever have a BGS, and if we find one that does, that would, to me at least, make it a candidate for a minor highway.
I'm happy to have the TTS say "exit" when there's a clear difference in grade. Drivers can understand that. The ambiguous case for me is when a road often goes over/under others, but the junction I'm dealing with is at-grade. I prefer non-ramp there ... but I also prefer consistency.
ncc1701v
Send a message
... and the "v" is for Volvo.