How to unsplit a road

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: How to unsplit a road

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

I'd prefer that WME disallow deletion of a segment which has house numbers attached.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Current wiki coverage is here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/?title=Best_map_editing_practice#How_to_.22Un-Split.22_two_One-Way_Roads

The instructions recommend deleting one side of the road. I thought it was best to merge both sides together in an attempt to preserve speed data. I bet that doesn't always work, but do we really not even want to try?

I don't know when the Wiki changed, however, a few months back, I unsplit a road, taking the time to use each side of the road and join them in the middle, and about 1/2 way through, I noticed that it was dropping the speed data from one side. I posted about it in the forums. I checked it again recently and it's built speed data for both sides, and there hasn't been a single UR in that area since I did the unsplit, so I assume there was no problem.

One thing I have noticed is that if the split is narrow enough, both sides have speed data for both directions anyway.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:50 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:And catching up in these wiki related threads, I see there was concern about preservation of address points with an unsplit. Has anyone tried to merge two roads with separate address points to see what happens?

Never really thought about that. I'm sure if there are address points assigned to each side of the road, you'll lose them for the side you delete. If you merge the two, it may move them to the wrong location, but at least the addresses will still be there. Someone should test this.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jasonh300 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:Did someone confirm the speed data is not retained? I thought we said it did with this procedure and that was why we go through all these steps. Either way hopefully the addresses will transfer, but if the speed data does not, I am concerned the addresses might be in the same boat and also get jettisoned.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious. Both sides have speed data, but after the merge, one direction is zeroed out. I don't see how it could possibly retain address data since the address data is attached to a particular segment.
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

How to unsplit a road

Postby jasonh300 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 am

kentsmith9 wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:(update) Since addresses can't even be observed unless edits are saved, I've been trying to find a double roadway, with addresses, where I'd be willing to sacrifice the addresses by saving. I can't find one yet.

How about create two test roads, each one way. Save two addresses on each segment (four unique in total). Then merge to see if you get two or four from the single segment.

I already tried it on a block that was split with one address in each direction. When you delete one side, the address data is lost.

On other segments, I did the half and half trick and it kept the address data, all seemingly in the same place that it was originally in.

These roads were unsplit properly and retained their address data:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=6&lat ... 1,72971795
New Orleans, Louisiana
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 pm

One thing to consider is some roads may have just been split by a new editor, so the instruction should consider simply looking at the creation dates and delete the new one.

Also we need to give an example of the "merge the two" because when I first started editing I thought that meant aligning the two ends of the two segments and have them lay on top of each other thinking that will be like a Vulcan Mind Meld. :mrgreen:

Yes my home town was messed up for a while as I tried to find all those damn overlapped segments. :lol:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:00 pm

ncc1701v wrote:Apparently that doesn't retain speed data in one direction so it doesn't help on that front...

Did someone confirm the speed data is not retained? I thought we said it did with this procedure and that was why we go through all these steps. Either way hopefully the addresses will transfer, but if the speed data does not, I am concerned the addresses might be in the same boat and also get jettisoned.
ncc1701v wrote:...it would be a good approach if junctions on either end were complex?

Once you convert the road to two-way, the end of the road you keep will have to be reviewed for turn restrictions that did not exist as a one-way road.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 am

ncc1701v wrote:(update) Since addresses can't even be observed unless edits are saved, I've been trying to find a double roadway, with addresses, where I'd be willing to sacrifice the addresses by saving. I can't find one yet.

How about create two test roads, each one way. Save two addresses on each segment (four unique in total). Then merge to see if you get two or four from the single segment.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:55 am

jasonh300 wrote:I did the half and half trick and it kept the address data, all seemingly in the same place that it was originally in.

I think we have our amended instructions then.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ncc1701v » Tue May 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Ignorant me, I don't understand what you mean by "merge the two sides together". Please explain.

One thing I do (which might be added to the wiki) is I look at each side to see how much GPS spillover there is, and take that into account when deciding which half to preserve. If one side does a good job preserving speed data for both directions, I take that as a more important factor than having to reconnect side roads.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
Beta tester
Beta tester

Next

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion