Post by AlanOfTheBerg
WeeeZer14 wrote:
sketch wrote:I... does anyone have a long-standing Museum &c. type landmark in their area that they could try to search?
Well crap....
Yeah, there doesn't seem to be a rhyme/reason.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:It makes sense to me, Alan: past a certain date, the landmark search database stopped updating. Old landmarks are searchable, new ones aren't. The cutoff is somewhere between September of last year and June 8.
Ok, you may be on to something there. I have two landmarks at PDX, one for Arriving and one for Departing flights. Selecting one or the other will direct you to the proper location and level at the airport for departing or arriving.

I noted a couple months ago that the Arriving landmark was associated with Portland, WA, which, of course, doesn't exist. Since that change was made, the Arriving landmark does not appear in the search on the app or editor, but the Departing one does just fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Id love to see landmark for rest area, being very travel-specific, be made special like gas stations, and have a selectable list of available services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
loki2461 wrote:I am curious though on how we handle required weigh stations. some of these are small, but others are large and have rest areas attached to them.
We haven't contemplated weigh stations much at all except to map their lanes. I've seen some landmarks and usually leave them alone. The main reason for this lack of attention is that weigh stations affect a small number of commuters each day. There are other nav apps and systems aimed at the commercial/professional driver market which handle things like weigh stations, road weight and height limits. It's not a space Waze can yet compete in and due to that limited benefit to drivers overall, Waze is unlikely in the near future to make app/system changes to support this kind of driving activity.

That being said, "if we build it, they (may) come." The community can do some work to build out some functionally for truckers, and make it more attractive for them to use, and then perhaps Waze will work on the internals.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I say call them what they are, using common lingo to determine if you call it a picnic area and tag it as a park or a scenic overlook, etc. rest areas are pretty clear IMO.

@sketch, we need to add the guidance about the mile post marker and hwy/fwy name in the rest area name. I've found the search for those works quite well.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sketch wrote:Like that, right?
Yes, I am pretty sure. Wait... "mile" instead of "mp"?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AndyPoms
WeeeZer14 wrote:I too have used the parking lot sandwich with ramp bread for weigh stations.
If there is a "No Public Access" road to the back of the Rest Area/Service Plaza/Weigh Station I usually set that road to private - it should cause a double penalty - and it does limit routing that way.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by asterix06
Hi guys
we are interested to implement you page in our country as your situation is very very similar to our.

When you will release it, please let me know what do I have to do
asterix06
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4L_o ... _small.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/gc.png
Iphone8+ Waze 4.43.0
Coordinator Waze Italy
Country Administrator Italy, CM China , CM Africa, Iran, Croatia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Turchia.
Forum Administrator

Post by Bigbear3764
jasonh300 wrote:Seems to depend on where the search is originated...from New York City, it's Bridge, Tunnel, Ferry Lane, Terminal, Gas Station.
I was reading this thread while visiting my daughter in Minnesota last week and searched for rest stops. Listed a few of them along I-90. Now trying at home, it lists a few other ones. Tried to route back to MN and did a "add a stop" search and the same rest stops that aren't near my route come up again.

Edit: Never mind, those were Bing results. Back to playing with search.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message