Rest Area page (US Version)

Post by
We (jasonh300, AlanOfTheBerg, AndyPoms, myself) have created a draft for a new Rest Area page looking for feedback. This particular page is very US centric. If we need to have a similar page(s) as this one in other countries we can disambiguate "Rest Area" to the other countries as required.

If you have any issues or concerns with the current Rest Area draft, please post your comments here for review by the larger group.

The idea for this page came from this thread which has been closed with all continuing conversation requested here.

After 7 days, unless there is significant disagreement on the current draft, we will officially open the Wiki page and link it to other pages as appropriate. The heading will change from it being a draft to a new page that might still get a few small updates. In typical Wikipedia form we should have the talk page link back to this thread, unfortunately most users will not even know there is a talk page for this Wiki article. :(

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified contributors to the initial draft page

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:Can we add small landmark at the entrance of the rest area similar to gas stations?
There is a second landmark for gas stations?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You need to take screenshots without highlighting turned on. The PLot segments initially look like primary street type.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
orbitc wrote:Can we add small landmark at the entrance of the rest area similar to gas stations?
There is a second landmark for gas stations?
What do you mean?
The page already has a landmark as part of the recommendation and then you asked about adding another one to the entrance like gas stations. Since a gas station is already a landmark, I do not understand why you add another landmark at a gas station entrance.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
orbitc wrote:No, what I meant was... Instead of adding a big landmark, we could add a smaller one by the entrance. Maybe that would come up if one searches.
Ah, you were referencing mapcat's request to not use any landmark. Didn't catch that without a quote.

So, yeah, maybe. We're not sure whether that landmark type will appear in the app search. We know Airport does. Jason is running some tests about which landmark types appear in the app search.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
kentsmith9 wrote:
mapcat wrote:Do not name ramps
Why not? We name all other ramps and especially when the exit is marked and has an exit number off the highway. This is very common in CA. If that is not the case in other states, naming the ramp "Exit to Rest Area" would make perfect sense to a driver.
I think this was perhaps only for special cases where the rest area is part of a larger exit where "rest area" may not be on the BGS? (Or in Oregon, on the Big Blue Sign.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:While I support mapcat's desire for POI *points* rather than landmarks that cover an area, this is a case where I feel that the landmark is a much better option. I compare a Rest Area to a Park, and had even originally suggested that we use the Park type of Landmark.
I am in agreement with this. There's many rest areas which aren't much more than a parking lot and a bathroom, but there's plenty of multi-acre rest areas too. For consistency, I support landmarks.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:No, I was referring to the dedicated rest area ramps themselves, since, as has been pointed out already, drivers will never hear the words.
You're saying that under the assumption that a rest area would never be entered as a destination or stop point. That is an assumption I can't support.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:Please show me how to do this.
Traveling I-5 in Oregon, add a stop, and it works OK. The road names aren't quite figured out right, but with the proper naming, I think it will be fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Attachments

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
How about we adopt the string for landmark name: "<interstate/route short name with cardinal> MP xxx Rest Area|Service Area|Rest Stop|Parking Area|Scenic Area|Wayside Park|Roadside Park|Picnic Area" with the full name of the location, if it has one, put into the Description. The Description could also include a list of services if the editor wants to spend that time. (It may be available in app some day!?)

Examples (all from Oregon)
"I-5 S MP 282 Rest Area"; Description: "Baldock Rest Area: Restrooms, Picnic Tables, Drinking Water, Public Telephone, Accessible Facilities, Kiosk/Historical Marker, Travel Info Gazebo, Vending Machines"
"I-84 E MP 187 Rest Area"; Description: "Stanfield Rest Area: Restrooms, Picnic Tables, Drinking Water, Horse Area, Accessible Facilities, Kiosk/Historical Marker, Vending Machines"
"US 395 N MP 93 Rest Area"; Description: "Carter Rest Area: Restrooms"
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
mapcat wrote:Does anyone have proof yet that rest area landmarks are searchable?
My screenshots from the app above, which you didn't like, are proof enough for me.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message