Rest Area page (US Version)

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Rest Area page (US Version)

Postby sketch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 pm

We don't want to name the parking lot segments so that they don't muddle up the search for the landmarks. I've been using (beta) vehicle type restrictions to set the car side and the truck side, although I'm not sure it'll actually work that way, the way landmark navigation works.

I agree that all entrance ramps should be named, whether there's a sign or not—there always should be—at least, generally, "Exit to Rest Area" if there's not other information.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 pm

That ability isn't actually coming to the client for some time. But either way, the way the destination point for a landmark is chosen, it wouldn't matter as far as I know.
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Section Heading Hierarchy

Postby tedtrost » Wed May 29, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi,

I think that the section heading hierarchy needs to be changed. Currently

1.1 The main parking area
and
1.2 Returning to the highway

Are children of "Exiting the Highway". They should both be promoted to be top-level headings.
Sometimes you avoid the jam, sometimes you are the jam, and sometimes it's faster to go through the jam. - AndyPoms
tedtrost

Postby txemt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm way late to this conversation, but I thought of something as I was cleaning up I-35 between Austin and DFW. There are two rest areas near Salado, Tx. The one on the southbound side I've stopped at before as an "emergency bladder relief." There is a sign leading to the rest area that says "Storm shelter" and there is an actual room (maybe underground, I don't know) that can be used as a storm shelter. I haven't explored the rest area enough to know if one could take shelter from a tornado or not (I usually hit this location at night).

I was reading about adding stuff to the description part of the landmark, but do users of the app see that? I've yet to be able to click on a landmark in the app and see any information about that landmark, whether it's a school, or anything. I've discovered a lot of landmarks in the Miami area that have the entire Wiki page put into the description by the editor who added those landmarks (a lot of those are being deleted as I come across them, as they are irrelevant to driving).

Should "storm shelter" be put into the name of the rest area, like "I-35 S Rest Area/Storm Shelter" or something like that? Do rest areas in Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, and the rest of tornado alley have storm shelters in rest areas?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:54 pm

It depends on the location of the weigh station if if affects travelers or not and I say this with a specific incident and location in mind. Jasonh300 can probably back me up on part of this:

On I-10 at the 206 mile marker there's is an exit. At the 207 mile marker, there is a weigh station. The onramp for the weigh station and the offramp for the exit are the same stretch of road. One year, my cousin was coming back from downtown New Orleans (Mardi Gras) and it was foggy. She couldn't see 1/4 a mile down the road, but she saw an exit ramp and thought, I need to get off and exited. She ended up in the weigh station, but knew that by going through the weigh station, she can get to the exit ramp and make it back to my house. In my opinion, that weigh station will be a huge benefit to a lot of drivers for that reason. It's a rare safety valve when fog or bed weather sits in, provided you know that exit and weigh station are attached. I know most weigh stations are out in the middle of nowhere and at state lines, but I think they're almost as important as rest areas.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:39 pm

I would use Turnpike Rd if I could, legally. If there's not a "do not enter" sign or "official use only" sign or something like that, then I definitely wouldn't, but would until proven otherwise.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby txemt » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Riamus wrote:CBenson: It should, but I've seen posts that seem to show that the mechanism is not working properly in all instances. And in any case, the consensus on Rest Areas is to use parking lot roads between the ramps and I think that's a valid decision on weigh stations as well. It appears that jondrush also thinks so.

I've been treating weigh stations like parking lot roads.
AM-S Florida & Texas
US CM
RC-US Territories
"Don't Mess With TxEmt"
Read, Read & Read
txemt
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby vectorspace » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:20 am

I think this looks very good. Thanks for doing it.

Comment: What about weigh stations? This would seem to be a type of service station. Some are simple, some integrated with truck stops and the like. Ramps would be marked as "weigh station."

Comment: Are any locations open certain hours? Future update to Wiki once such features are available.

Comment: if these include full service stops, then one might not want to landmark everything, but also landmark the service station type, food, etc. the NY State turnpike or other state-captive road would have these. If not, state they should be treated a different way.

At some point in the future it would be nice if there was a way to list accommodating types... What is there at the location. Some are just pullovers with a trash can, and maybe a bush to pee behind if you're brave. Others are full service.
vectorspace
iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Nexus 7
Edit Well * Participate in Forums * Be an Area Manager * Mentor
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Sounds good to me, unless you want the title to be some overall categorical name for things like rest stops, weigh stations, service areas... or just list them all in the title so some searching can find it. Whatever works for you...
vectorspace
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:29 pm

I am a complete newbie with regard to the Wiki, so have no idea. Just learning it now trying to make a draft page on the private installation thing... I'll have to get pointers one of these days.
vectorspace
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion