Rest Area page (US Version)

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Rest Area page (US Version)

Postby vectorspace » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Yea... the mile post thing seems reasonable, or a formal name of the rest stop. Some of them have formal names.

What seems good about the last few posts is an idea that I think needs to be presented to the Waze developers. (A) Searching for rest stops should be a function in some way. (B) Automated notices like "Next rest stop (or service area) X miles ahead" would be useful for drivers. Even if this were activated 20, 10, 5, 2 miles ahead of the area... cool feature.
vectorspace
iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Nexus 7
Edit Well * Participate in Forums * Be an Area Manager * Mentor
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Even if they're not searchable, if the content is there, Waze will eventually search it.
vectorspace
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby vectorspace » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 am

I found a bridge, tunnel, supermarket, farmland, and gas station in LA by searching for a landmark test.

Try searching my handle... You should find two test ranges in abq. Both are of type "other."

So, it seems all these are searchable with some temporal and spatial variations we don't understand.
vectorspace
vectorspace
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby WeeeZer14 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:05 pm

Late to the game as I catch up. Thought on search (or the eventual ability to search)...

Say I am driving down the highway and want to stop. From where I am, assume there is "Tom Somebody Service Area" in 10 miles, "Tennessee Welcome Center" in 20 miles, and "I-40 E Rest Area" in 30 miles.

How do I easily find my options of where to stop?
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:How do I easily find my options of where to stop?

If there is a common naming convention, which we talked about and I posted a proposal of earlier, then it should be clear based on what road you are on and where you are going, and where you are now.

So taking the existing examples from the wiki:
Wiki wrote:The landmark should be named as follows, using the highway name and cardinal direction as part of the name for POI search purposes: "I-10 W Rest Area", "Pennsylvania Turnpike E Service Area" if commercial restaurant/fuel is offered, or "Tennessee Welcome Center" for official state welcome centers. If the rest area is given a name by the state D.O.T., it may be used, e.g., "Dizzy Dean Rest Area".

...you would propose that all the names contain "Rest Area" and only put the Welcome Center/Service Area bit into the description?

If so, I like that. As written currently there is not a common string between different types of rest areas. If nature is calling, I don't care if it is a Welcome Center, a Rest Area, a Service Plaza, etc etc. ;)
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:44 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:...you would propose that all the names contain "Rest Area" and only put the Welcome Center/Service Area bit into the description?

Not quite. My post a few pages back has this:
"<interstate/route short name with cardinal> MP xxx Rest Area|Service Area|Rest Stop|Parking Area|Scenic Area|Wayside Park|Roadside Park|Picnic Area"

Becomes:
  • US-45 N MP 13 Service Area
  • I-15 S MP 443 Rest Area
  • SR-14 E MP 133 Scenic Area
etc.

Okay, so then my "problem" exists... if I am just looking for an official area to pull off the road, there is not a single search I can perform to find all three of those places (if they were on the same road). Unless I search for "US-45 N MP" assuming I was on that particular road I guess. But is that what a lay-person is going to think of putting in?
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:46 am

jasonh300 wrote:I still haven't seen where the MP data comes from? I don't believe any state in the southeast assigns exit numbers to the rest areas, and the presence of mile markers can be hit or miss also. I could probably estimate, but it wouldn't be easy.

Easy in TN at least: TDOT Page of all welcome centers and rest areas with Mile Markers (yes, TN uses MM, not MP)
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:11 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:What would really be great is if we had a Landmark type to cover them all and that would show up as a Category search.

If Waze keeps the tunnel vision of "Commuter App Only", they probably won't. But if they want to expand to "General Navigation", I would say that a category for rest/service/welcome/etc type areas is a requirement. I look for them for my own purposes and now travelling with a little kid, I look for them even more! I'd actually love an option to show rest areas on the map all the time as an icon. Maybe I am biased by my old paper maps with little "S" and "R" designations.
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Soo...... what's the solution to that? I'd be OK with them being titled "rest area" only, but I feel that's improperly naming them. A Rest Stop doesn't have fuel, but a Service Area does.

As usual, we are talking about a fragile hack to deal with a short coming of Waze. :D If we don't have a category to use, then all we have is name. And the name may still not be obvious to the lay person. Even if we use "Rest Area" as a standard for all stopping areas, we will still have people looking for "Rest Stop", "Service Area", "Service Plaza", etc.
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:20 am

For un-named vs. named roads, if unnamed you are told to make a bunch of turns for the Interstate but at least that is where you are going. If you name them "Rest Area" you will just get a bunch of turns "at Rest Area". I'd say the Interstate name is more useful -- especially for a rest area in the median where you can get to either direction. You at least know what your target is.

But on the un-named road topic in general, long ago I stated that I would like to see the TTS changed to say something like "towards" instead of "at" when the segment has blank name and is inheriting a later name. Getting out of the mall being told to make an internal turn "at Main St" can be confusing, but I think being told to turn "towards Main St" gives a useful indication of what entrance/exit you are being directed towards.

EDIT: same general case copied over to this more appropriate topic.
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby WeeeZer14 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:16 pm

sketch wrote:I say not capitalized -- "I 59 N mile 38 Rest Area". It takes up less space and breaks up the caps-and-numbers route designation and mile number.

I like lower case -- seems to let the important bits of data stand out more when you scan the line.
WeeeZer14
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Wiki Updates and Discussion